Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

Does anyone have experience with this brand new Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM lens? According to Outdoor Photographer and Popular Photography it is supposed to enable either Optical Stabilization in the lens itself or Shake Reduction in the Pentax DSLR body. Plus the HSM should work with the K10D, K20D, and K-7. If so this is a radical development for Pentax.

02-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what's radical:

The OS can be turned on or off, in both the lens and camera. That's always been true in the SR bodies from Pentax and always been true in stablized lenses. The photographer chooses which device will be providing stabilization, if any. Just cannot choose both. Chaos ensues, I expect.

The third-party lens manufacturers are providing their own focus motors in the lens, as Pentax does with SDM. Nikon/Canon do the same. Nothing new there, either.

The only thing we didn't have a couple of years ago was the interface between the third-party lens and an SDM-capable body. It's a matter of implementing interoperation between the Pentax control protocol and the len's focus control machinery.

Or were you making a point I missed?
02-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

seen a few threads about this lens and the Tamron 18-270 VC....both seem a little pointless since we have SR already built into our camera bodies. Maybe if someone prefers optical stabilisation, but the extra cost would be unattractive in my opinion.

Jason
02-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess the real issue I have is whether or not all Sigma lenses with "HSM" will utilize the quiet "SDM" autofocus feature of the K10D, K20D, and K7 camera bodies.

02-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Forum Member

I found review of this lens on other mount ,

Sigma 17-70 mm f/2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

It looks so promising on the resolution test even at wide open, but if you watch on their samples show some softness on the edges. So, I'm a bit confused w their samples that didn't represent its resolution test. Did I lack or wrongly make of observation?

Pls, check also on CA. It show almost at the whole pictures. At out focus area the green & magenta seen more obvious. I have Sigma 70-200 HSM McroII, It shows same behavior.

Cheers,
RTogog
02-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fredok1 Quote
I guess the real issue I have is whether or not all Sigma lenses with "HSM" will utilize the quiet "SDM" autofocus feature of the K10D, K20D, and K7 camera bodies.
Yes. Not the same technology, but the same results and the camera knows no difference.

Some Sigma HSM lenses don't even have a screwdrive shaft in them (my 10-20mm f/3.5 is one!), so these models can't be used on bodies earlier than the K100D Super which lack SDM control. Fine for K10D, K20D, K200D, K-7, K-x, K-m, etc.
02-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fredok1 Quote

Eh?

Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

About half way down -

QuoteQuote:
The lens is equipped with Sigma’s own unique OS function. This system allows the photographer to use shutter speeds approximately 4 stops slower. For Sony and Pentax mounts, the built-in OS function of this lens can be used even if the camera body is equipped with an anti-shake function. As compensation for camera shake is visible in the view finder, the photographer can easily check for accurate focus and ensure there is no subject movement.
*It is not possible to use the built-in OS function of this lens when using with Pentax ist* series and K100D DSLR cameras
This surprises me - the conventional wisdom is that they would end up fighting each other.

02-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
Eh?

Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

About half way down -

This surprises me - the conventional wisdom is that they would end up fighting each other.
Using one deactivates the other. They could clarify that statement a bit. They're trying to say that even if your body has built in stabilization, you can use theirs, what they left out, is that it's one or the other.

Edited to add:

The U.S. site does a better job (only slightly, emphasis added):
http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3364&navigator=6

QuoteQuote:
Sigma Corporation adds unique, anti-shake technology to award-winning 17-70mm lens
‘Ultimate standard lens’ now available in Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony and Sigma mounts

Sigma Corporation, a leading researcher, developer, manufacturer and service provider of some of the world’s most impressive lines of lenses, cameras and flashes, is pleased to announce its newly upgraded 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM lens.

This large aperture, standard zoom lens contains state-of-the-art enhancements, including the company’s own Optical Stabilization (OS), anti-shake technology that offers the use of shutter speeds approximately four stops slower than would otherwise be possible. Once again, only Sigma has made it possible for Pentax and Sony shooters to utilize an anti-shake system in either the lens or the camera body.
02-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Yes. Not the same technology, but the same results and the camera knows no difference.

Some Sigma HSM lenses don't even have a screwdrive shaft in them (my 10-20mm f/3.5 is one!), so these models can't be used on bodies earlier than the K100D Super which lack SDM control. Fine for K10D, K20D, K200D, K-7, K-x, K-m, etc.
All HSM sigma lenses lack screwdrive AF. ALL.
02-17-2010, 03:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
All HSM sigma lenses lack screwdrive AF. ALL.
So it is ring-type sonic motor instead ?
05-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, but wouldn't the K200D also support this lenses HSM feature?