Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Macro Takumar f/4 50mm

Hi all, I just recently acquired this lens and although it seems a bit worse for wear, everything seems to function fine as far as my newbie eyes can tell.

The focus is solid but feels a touch dry as does the aperture preview ring. The aperture select ring clicks solidly for each setting, although both rings feel a little loose, especially the preview lever ring which can be pulled outward and turned freely.

There's also a fair bit of dust and the filter end of the barrel does seem a bit dinged up. I'm not looking for a museum piece as long as it works and lasts. From the searching I did, I love the images it produces.

Is it salvageable? I read that it can be a relatively simple fix to tighten so I want to attempt it myself but if it's not too expensive, I'd probably feel safer shipping it to a qualified hand.

Here are a few pics:

02-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have the older super tak version. It will focus down to 1:1! Not too many 50mm lenses do that.

The lens is a preset lens. The behavior of the lens aperture sounds functional.

The lens has been opened before. Is all that dust on the inside or outside?
02-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, I was pretty excited to be in possession of a rather uncommon lens which is why I want to keep it. How can you tell it's been opened before?

I can't tell if the dust is inside or out, but there seems to be a fair bit outside.

Even the shot of the back you can see lots of dust in that large crevice. I'll wipe it down with a microfiber cloth when I find one and take a closer look.

Are you familiar with it's disassembly?
02-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
You have the older super tak version. It will focus down to 1:1! Not too many 50mm lenses do that.

The lens is a preset lens. The behavior of the lens aperture sounds functional.

The lens has been opened before. Is all that dust on the inside or outside?
Only the preset Macro-Takumar goes to 1:1 without extension tube. The Super Macro-Takumar and Super-Multi-Coated Takumars only go to 1:2 without extension tube.

From the photos posted to me the lens doesn't look like it has been opened.

The preset Macro-Takumar is one of my favorite lenses!

@Asudef, I'm interested in the procedure you found to tighten; could you post a link? I've worked on several of the other Takumars, mostly the 50, 55, & telephotos; they are relatively simple construction and relatively easy to work on, but I too would hesitate with the macro lenses, unless those instructions are simple and straightforward. I imagine the double helical is complicated.

02-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
It wasn't really a procedure but rather just a short blurb about how he revived the lens.
Found here

The aperture preview rotates part of the barrel underneath so it looks like the inner part with the lettering just unscrews off. You can see the separation in the pic.
02-13-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The flickr photos are currently unavailable...

Yep it's a real simple fix if nothing is missing or broken. I just removed the name plate on mine using only finger pressure inside to unscrew it from the lens body. The remaining piece of the "inner hood" lifts out revealing the screws that hold the preset rings in place -- those are probably loose on your lens; here's hoping they are not missing! Let me know if you want pics...
02-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
That would be great if you could show me some pics. I tried turning it by hand with no success, I might have to make some device to grab on the inside and unscrew it.

02-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

old-fashioned rubber sink drain stoppers work great; available at local hardware store...I'll post some pics tomorrow morning...
02-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I will have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion!
02-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

pics attached
Attached Images

Last edited by rhodopsin; 02-13-2010 at 04:46 PM.
02-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asudef Quote
Yes, I was pretty excited to be in possession of a rather uncommon lens which is why I want to keep it. How can you tell it's been opened before?

I can't tell if the dust is inside or out, but there seems to be a fair bit outside.

Even the shot of the back you can see lots of dust in that large crevice. I'll wipe it down with a microfiber cloth when I find one and take a closer look.

Are you familiar with it's disassembly?
I don't know how to take it apart, even though I have one. Sorry.

It looks as if the tightening side of the slots appear "bright" on the rear outermost retaining ring. It is a bit out of focus.
02-18-2010, 04:47 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the pics rhodspin. Your lens looks so pretty unlike mine.

I'm still not able to get the trim ring off, I've tried my fingers, tape and using a divider in the milled out letters to unscrew but it won't seem to budge. Still haven't been able to find a drain stopper but hopefully that's the key.

Maybe some other people have better suggestions?

Btw lmd, you're right they do look bright/used. Can you enlighten me as to what that tightens?
02-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

drainplug or a latex glove-covered drinking glass the right size. a little WD-40 or wintergreen oil (pharmacy) sprayed on a q-tip rubbed between ring & body, not too much, give it time to work, some hours or a day or two.
02-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #14

hello guys,

I´ve just registered and instead of making some thread in introductions (I might still do that later) I want to thank you all for the tips given in this thread! Super, I would have never thought I´d be brave enough to open up a lens.. Yesterday got myself a collection of takumars actually mostly because I really really wanted to have this 50mm macro 1:1 preset. Of course from 50 years ? somethings you can expect to be wobbly a bit, but mine had a 5mm + gap between the two aperture rings. I found the screws completely loosened but still there (pfffoeey). After following the instructions here now no wobbles (maybe a 0.1mm wobble sideways, but hey? no complains there). Especially useful tip this "drain-plug rubber glove tip" ! Never would have imagined a drain-plug could be used for something not annoying.

So thanks! I hope people still read this or new people can learn from this

macro takumar opened by margriet.l,