Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

To use UV filters or Not to use UV filters?HELP NEEDED

I am new to the DSL world. I have some questions in reguards to the filters. Now, Should I use them only for out side shots? Or, would you also use the UV filters for inside shots??
So far i just have 52mm and a 58mm Nikura optics filters.

02-19-2010, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You should use UV filters only when you need them. That could be at very high altitude or under very clear blue skies at the sea shore. In both cases an excess of UV light could be reduced by the UV filter.

If you want to protect the front element of your lens against damage, a UV filter can help. Especially in very dusty/sandy and windy conditions. So at the beach or if you are shooting in a dessert, this is a good idea. It can also be sensible to prevent the front element from rain and snow, if you are taking pictures under these circumstances at all.

In almost all other cases the mechanical protection the lens hood offers should be enough.

Whenever you shoot directly into light sources, (the sun during the day, bright specular highlights (those nice reflections on ripples or waves, or any mirror-like surface) or lighting devices at night, you should remove the UV filter. Even the best ones, will add reflections, ghosting and flareing under these conditions.

This is one of the most often discussed topics. So please use the search function and look for "UV filters" and you will find a wealth of controversy and information.

Ben

Last edited by Ben_Edict; 02-19-2010 at 07:12 AM.
02-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ben, Thank you so much for your reply. You really helped me there. !!!
I had taken shots indoosr with them on, because i forgot I had them on. But, after doing some reasearch and your answer..I do not need them inside..LOl..On me.
02-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Softsoap Quote
Ben, Thank you so much for your reply. You really helped me there. !!!
I had taken shots indoosr with them on, because i forgot I had them on. But, after doing some reasearch and your answer..I do not need them inside..LOl..On me.
We use to keep them on our lenses all the time. UV or a skylight. They protected the front element when left on. I started to keep them on when I first got into digital but have noticed on some night shots ghosts because of the filter. So now I generally leave them off for digital. On for my film lenses.

02-20-2010, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Softsoap Quote
I am new to the DSL world. I have some questions in reguards to the filters. Now, Should I use them only for out side shots? Or, would you also use the UV filters for inside shots??
So far i just have 52mm and a 58mm Nikura optics filters.
Most of the time you would not need to use the more commonly purchased filters indoors, however there are as always in photography some magical effects to be had by using filters if you think out side of the box.
look at what are available for your lenses and think what effect they might have indoors, re. warming and cooling colour filters immediately come to mind as well as the star burst type etc etc,
always remember there is much more satisfaction in getting an affect "in camera" rather than in some software application afterwards.
as my better half once said any one [well she was not quite that polite] can use a mouse, but it takes imagination to use a filter"
Alistair in a damp and wet Bristol
02-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Friends don't let friends use "protective" filters.
02-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe friends of the filter salesmen...

For the OP: browse the forums nd rad the many, many existing threads on the topic. You'll see opinion split between those who say you should *never* use a UV filter because it provides little protection and degrades the image, versus those who really believe it provides protection and doesn't degrade the image. You'll just have to decide for yourself.

Me, I think it makes a *ton* more sense to spend the same money on insurance, which protects the lens not just against scratches, but also against being dropped off a cliff or into the ocean, or being stolen. And I *guarantee* no insurnace policy ever degraded image quality.