Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

What can you tell me about...

My hubby & I recently "rediscovered" his old K1000 during our recent move. He has an SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:2, a DeJur 135mm 1:2.8, and a DeJur 2x teleconverter.

As a newbie to the DSLR world, would someone be so kind as to teach me about these lenses? What kind of quality are they known for? Does anyone have any pics (or links to pictures) taken with these lenses?

I am eager to learn all I can in my new-found hobby/passion. Thanks in advance for any & all insight given!

~Amanda

03-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This would've gotten a lot more attention in the Beginner's Q & A section of the site.

I'm not familiar with DeJur brand lenses, but the M 50mm is a good lens with excellent image quality. For more information on lenses, you can check the Lens Review Database on this site. Specifically, the Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 50mm F2 entry.
03-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by viewfinder Quote
My hubby & I recently "rediscovered" his old K1000 during our recent move. He has an SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:2, a DeJur 135mm 1:2.8, and a DeJur 2x teleconverter.

As a newbie to the DSLR world, would someone be so kind as to teach me about these lenses? What kind of quality are they known for? Does anyone have any pics (or links to pictures) taken with these lenses?

I am eager to learn all I can in my new-found hobby/passion. Thanks in advance for any & all insight given!

~Amanda
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
This would've gotten a lot more attention in the Beginner's Q & A section of the site.

I'm not familiar with DeJur brand lenses, but the M 50mm is a good lens with excellent image quality. For more information on lenses, you can check the Lens Review Database on this site. Specifically, the Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 50mm F2 entry.
The Dejur lenses, just from a little snooping around on Google, seem to be regarded as doorstops or at best mediocre quality. That's subjective of course and would depend on what you really want to do with it. If they worked on the K1000, chances are good that they'll be workable on the Kx. Just remember to go into the custom menu (check your manual) and set the Using Aperture Ring to Allowed. Note also that with these lenses, you'll be shooting full manual just as you would have with the K1000 film camera.

Do a little searching about "The Ricoh Pin" and make sure these lenses don't fall into that category. No need in breaking the camera right out of the box, especially with lenses that are worth at best, $25 (guesstimate).

The M50 will not be a problem once you get into the manual exposure and focus mode..

Welcome and let's see some snaps of those 3 dogs and kids. Well, at least the dogs anyway (some don't like posting pics of their kids online).

03-02-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I'm not familiar with DeJur brand lenses, but the M 50mm is a good lens with excellent image quality.
I wouldn't oversell the F/2 version (labeled 1:2) version of the 50mm. I have it; it's not great, let alone excellent.

03-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I own a DeJur 2x teleconverter for my old M42 screw mount camera and I have to say it is pretty bad. Not unusable but definitely not excellent. Not sure if its built the same as your K mount version but some forewarning to not be expecting much.
03-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I wouldn't oversell the F/2 version (labeled 1:2) version of the 50mm. I have it; it's not great, let alone excellent.
I guess it depends on your point of view. It's not like the F1.7 or F1.4, but it's still pretty decent considering what it sells for (which is next to nothing).
03-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Or in this case, literally nothing, since they already own it. I always advise people: if you don't already own a 50 and are looking to buy, then certainly choose an f/1.7 or f/1.4 version, but if you've already got an f/2 version, don't be in a hurry to replace it. Similar story with the original versus improved versions of the 18-55 "kit" lens.

03-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
I appreciate the feedback. I honestly didn't have high expectations for them, but would have counted it "bonus" if they were any good.

Thanks again
03-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That sounds like an old Impoverished Student kit of camera and glass. No, the 50/2 lens ain't superlative, but it's not at all bad either; yes, the DeJur stuff is subnormal or worse; but they were adequate for learning the mechanics of photography. Other recent threads here deal with gritty shooting, high ISO, noise-reduction OFF, going for a desperate documentary look with the dSLR. Used in such a context, the DeJur stuff can be instructive. ("Oh Goddess, not ANOTHER learning experience!!")
03-03-2010, 04:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by viewfinder Quote
I appreciate the feedback. I honestly didn't have high expectations for them, but would have counted it "bonus" if they were any good.

Thanks again
Keep them around; sometimes it is fun to use stuff like that. And on digital such playing around costs you nothing.