Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Need help to repair a takumar 85-210mm lens

Got a s-m-c takumar zoom 85-210mm from ebay. However, it focuses only from about 1.5m to 4m. Looks like it had been disassembled and not been resembled in the right way.
This lens is so beautiful and I don't wanted to have it returned although it does not work normally. If any one here knows how to repair this lens?

Thanks for your ideas.

03-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zhha Quote
Got a s-m-c takumar zoom 85-210mm from ebay. However, it focuses only from about 1.5m to 4m. Looks like it had been disassembled and not been resembled in the right way.
This lens is so beautiful and I don't wanted to have it returned although it does not work normally. If any one here knows how to repair this lens?

Thanks for your ideas.
Eric Hendrickson at Eric can probably fix it. I see you are new here. You probably haven't seen any threads about Eric, but he is considered to be a Pentax repair guru by many here. He did a complete overhaul and repaired the broken light meter on my 38 year old Spotmatic. I just bought a Vivitar 28mm/2.0 M42 from the For Sale forum. That lens has a problem and it is being shipped direct to the Eric Hendrickson Pentax Hospital for CLA and repair. Eric's prices are amazingly inexpensive (cheap).

If you add the price you paid for the lens to Eric's repair price and are satisfied with the total, this is the way to go. The way Eric works is, you mail the lens to him, he checks it and tells you whether it can be repaired or not and the repair price. If you find his repair price too high, you can reject it and he returns the lens to you at his expense. All it cost you is packing and postage to ship it one way. That is a heck of a deal in my opinion.
03-09-2010, 05:45 AM   #3

there might be an element that was put back the wrong way.
03-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zooms are much more complicated than prime lenses. I would also be wary of a lens that appears to have been incorrectly assembled. It might be impossible to figure out the correct way without documentation, and parts might be missing.

03-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your helpful information!!
I decide to send it to eric.