Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: for thos who own or have used the DA*50-135mm f2.8 Hows the SDM?
SDM Problems 2539.06%
No Problem / SDM works fine 3960.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA*50-135mm f2.8 SDM Problems / No Problem

For DA*50-135mm f2.8 owners and ex owners
If you own twice like the other is working and the first you bought had problems pls choose SDM problems
If you had problems and had it repaired indicate SDM problems

03-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've owned two used DA* 50-135's in the past.

I sold one after owning it for a month because I wanted the FA 77 Limited instead... That copy had no SDM problems when I sold it, it was probably a few months old with the previous owner combined.

Then after that I resold that FA 77 and bought the Tamron 70-200 because I really prefer the versatility of zooms. I then sold that and re-bought a different DA* 50-135. The size, weight, weather-sealing, and quiet AF motor was too perfect on it coupled with superb optics. Right now the current copy I own has no SDM problems and with the previous owner and me combined, it's about a year old.
03-18-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also indicate how long you have the lens and how often you use it
03-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've owned the 50-135 for about 18 months and it seems to be working fine.

03-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
4 months, failed to work for the first few minutes of its life and then eventually woke up. Then it failed to work again a few weeks later before waking up slowly. I have a bad feeling...
03-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine (50-135) first started acting up about 4-5 months after I purchased it new. It would not respond for the first few minutes then all of a sudden start focusing and then be fine for the rest of the shoot, typically about 3-4 hours. It went this way for about 12-13 months.

Now after about 15 months, it's failed completely and I could kick myself for not sending it back in October when I stopped shooting for a while.

I plan on writing a letter to Pentax when I send it in explaining that it was clearly acting up PRIOR to the warranty running out. Not sure what that will get me but it's worth a shot.

As an aside, I was at a photo show last month checking out the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 when the Tamron rep scolded me for turning the focusing ring without disabling AF....he explained that manually turning the focusing ring in AF mode torques the motor and will cause it to prematurely fail. I know that our SDM lenses with Quick Focus are supposed to be able to handle that but it got me thinking whether that could be what's contributing to these SDM failures. I know, for example, when I was trying to fix a back focusing problem using my LensAlign tool that I was repeatedly refocusing the lens back to infinity and then engaging the AF to force it to auto-focus back to the target again. As far as I know, it's supposed to be OK to do that with the Pentax SDM lenses but now I wonder.

Terry
03-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tlwyse Quote
As an aside, I was at a photo show last month checking out the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 when the Tamron rep scolded me for turning the focusing ring without disabling AF....he explained that manually turning the focusing ring in AF mode torques the motor and will cause it to prematurely fail. I know that our SDM lenses with Quick Focus are supposed to be able to handle that but it got me thinking whether that could be what's contributing to these SDM failures. I know, for example, when I was trying to fix a back focusing problem using my LensAlign tool that I was repeatedly refocusing the lens back to infinity and then engaging the AF to force it to auto-focus back to the target again. As far as I know, it's supposed to be OK to do that with the Pentax SDM lenses but now I wonder.
With a quick-shift lens, you're not actually turning the motor. The motor isn't engaged to the focus ring at all as long as the motor isn't spinning. It's perfectly safe and not a contributing factor, especially not on SDM lenses.

03-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I've had mine for half a year, previous owner had it for about the same. Haven't had any problems so far, I've had probably ~4000 shots with it now.
03-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

so.... how can those of us, whom don't own the lens see the poll. Without signing out that is.
03-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
so.... how can those of us, whom don't own the lens see the poll. Without signing out that is.
The situation now is 30% (7) with faults and 70% (16) without. My 6 months old lens was one of the 7 and broke down, the focusing system got stuck so it couldn't be used even in manual focus mode.
03-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by solisti Quote
The situation now is 30% (7) with faults and 70% (16) without. My 6 months old lens was one of the 7 and broke down, the focusing system got stuck so it couldn't be used even in manual focus mode.
How often do you use yours? any idea what caused the trouble?
03-19-2010, 03:03 AM   #12

Hi,
I have bought mine just 3 or 4 weeks ago and have only taken a few pictures with it. I will now keep on praying that it remains healthy because you guys have really scared me. The lens isrefurbished so there is only a 6 month warranty on it!
03-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
How often do you use yours? any idea what caused the trouble?
I bought it used in mint condition and had a nice month with the lens.
Took perhaps 200-300 pics with it and the previous user hadn't used it that much either. It seemed a bit slow on response just before it broke down.

The lens is in Germany at the moment for a service, so I don't have an idea about the cause yet...there's no service capable of servicing DA*-lenses in Finland. My guess is that the SDM motor burned and got stuck giving so much friction that the quick focus system couldn't move either when using MF.
03-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #14

Second failed 50-135 DA*

Brought the second one to Pentax Canada's service dept. yesterday (I work 2 blocks away). Was hoping to meet Stephen Ho to discuss the matter with him but again, I was told he was on vacation... (I really want to work for Pentax Canada... they seem to have unparalleled benefits!!!!)
In a nutshell, here's how it went:
Gene: G'day, I am here to bring back the 50-135 that you replaced for me in October 2009, it has the same issue now, I need to keep my finger on the AF button for at least 5 minutes for it to wake-up and start focusing...
Pentax Dude: Mmm... let's see. Never heard this before...
Gene: Oh please! this is the replacement for a lens I brought you in October with the same issue....
PD: Ah. Yes. Remember now... We have couple of these...
PD: When you purchased lens?
Gene: The original, in December of 2007.
PD: Ah! This not covered with Warranty!
Gene: You're joking, right? This lens is not even 6 months old!!! (trying to stay calm...)
PD: No no! Warranty from original lens purchase only. Now expired!
Gene: (biting my tongue!) Serioulsy, this is my second failure, same model, same issue, now on a different body. Can you do something?
PD: You asking for goodwill warranty?
Gene: Not only "me asking" but Pentax should provide an extended warranty on these!
PD: Me not allowed to offer, you must request...
Gene (getting red in the face): Me wholeheartedly, firmly and unequivocally ASKING for a goodwill warranty!
PD: OK Sir, me see what I can do, will call you with results...
Gene: Thank you! BTW, I really love the optics, it is flawless, so I'd prefer you fix it rather than relpace it this time.
PD: Yes, 50-135 optics very good, but SDM not so good... (then, as he was looking at my 16-50): For 16-50, SDM OK, but optically, not so good...
Gene (now looking totally baffled!): OK, thanks for the insight... Ciao!
Will keep you posted....
Gene

By the way, should I vote twice, as I had 2 failures on different lenses?

Last edited by xGene; 03-19-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: added sentence
03-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
By the way, should I vote twice, as I had 2 failures on different lenses?
Register another account and vote .

Hope all the best with the result.