Only when needed (state your reason) 1010.75%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you use your lens hood?

I couldnt see the reason of using a lens hood, i tried shooting in the sun and comparing pictures taken with using a hood and no hood. Am i missing something here?

03-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many reasons to use lens hood:
a) protection of the front element (I don't use the filters)
b) preventing strait light entering the lens and therefore reducing contrast and maybe offsetting the exposure
c) preventing flare... SMC lenses are quite good with this anyway, but good lenshood makes difference. Imagine room with many spotlights scenario

frankly, the only lens for which I don't use lens hood all the time is my 31ltd and the only reason is that I haven't found one that I would like yet...
03-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Have you try testing shots w/ hood and without hood?
Cant see any difference in the pictures
03-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Have you try testing shots w/ hood and without hood?
Cant see any difference in the pictures
yes I have and I do see difference...

03-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #5

only time i use it is to reduce lens flare
03-26-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I also see difference when I shoot with or without hood. I use a hood on EVERY lens except those that can't mount a hood: DA 10-17 and Zenitar 16/2.8 fisheyes. I even hood a macro lens whose objective is deeply recessed. I don't yet have a 72mm hood for my Sakar 500mm mirror, so I improvise with black paper held on with a rubber band.

The hoods are various sorts, and from various odd-lots sales. Built-in or supplied hoods with those lenses that have them; folding rubbers of assorted sizes; metal hoods. I found a little 26mm series-whatever hood to slip on my MF folders.

Why? Stray light is the enemy. Even with super-multi-coating up the yazoo, stray light does not improve the recorded image. Sometimes you may want flare, for drama. I have a nice shot (frame-grabbed from an old camcorder) of flare that looks like a UFO beaming-up some cars. But usually you just lose contrast and depth.

Also, solid hoods offer some protection. I generally don't use filters, except in blowing dust and flying mud. A hood keeps the outside world just a bit further away from the glass. This has saved certain lenses more than once.
03-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe i tested it wrong. Can you show me how to test so i can see the difference

03-26-2010, 02:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I always add the hood onto any lens that has one. Colour intensity, flaring & protection.
03-26-2010, 02:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Maybe i tested it wrong. Can you show me how to test so i can see the difference
That should be rather easy with a rubber hood. Fold the hood back. Frame a picture so that a nearby open light is just outside the frame. Shoot. Now fold the hood out. Frame the same picture. Shoot. Compare.
03-26-2010, 02:48 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Essential in every circumstance.
Even when trying out flare effects, I have found hooded lenses render the best images.
03-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #11
Banned

I always use my hood. If not for flare reduction then just for the extra bit of protection they provide. It shocks me to be wandering around in a crowd and see folks with high end lenses without a hood or cap on. I'm borrowing a friends 10-20 for a shoot this weekend and he forgot the hood. I'm feeling like I'm walking on glass by not having that protection.
03-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I couldnt see the reason of using a lens hood, i tried shooting in the sun and comparing pictures taken with using a hood and no hood. Am i missing something here?
Yes, you are missing something. Obviously the hood will not help against flare, if you shoot directly into the sun. Easy enough to understand. BUT if you have the sun (or another bright light source), just outside the field of view, it will cause flareing, which you can reduce or eliminate with the hood. These situations arise much more often, than shotting directly into the light source.

On top, the hood will offer some mechanical protection against bumps. I mostly use metal hoos and they have saved lenses quite a couple of times from damaging the front element.

Ben
03-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

I always use a rubber hood because it gives me an extra 2 inches.

Lens envy.
03-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes 100% of the time. A hood is probably the most important lens accessory that you can use to improve picture quality. There is a reason Pentax has a hood designed for every lens, either built-in or as a clip/screw-on attachment. Even the fisheye lens has a tiny built-in hood.

Phil.
03-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

you lose cotrast when the front element is strucked by the sun at certain angles. I think the error here is you might had thought that a lens hood would work if you shoot directly at the sun which would obviously hit the front element.

the idea of having a lenshood is to block the streaking stray light.