Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #1

Lens Hood

I have accumulated quite a few 50mm lenses and none of them have hoods. I'm guessing hoods were not part of the package like most modern lenses now. The hoods I have seen on ebay appear to be quite small. How important have ya'll found it to have hoods on your 50mm's? Most of my use has come in low light situations so I have not encountered flare yet but I was wondering what the opinions of the more experienced users might be and should I be looking to purchase hoods for my 50's. Thanks!

04-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi, I consider a l lens hood indispensible in almost all shooting situations. I cannot even think of any argument against using one (except you insist on using the feeble built-in camera flash and a lens hood throws a shadow on the subject). There have been several recent threads about the advantages/limits of lens hoods and the Search function is your friend:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/95747-protectiv...rs-lenses.html

This is particularily interesting:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/95066-do-you-u...lens-hood.html

Ben
04-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always use hoods and this is the one that I use for my 50mm lenses and my 58mm Helios lenses. If you are using your 50's on a digital body, you can use the hood fully extended with no vignetting and I think that it looks more sleek than the cheaper hoods. The one disadvantage is that it is not lens cap compatible. Not a problem for me. I tend to remove my lens cap, attach the hood and leave the cap off until either I am packing away my gear or I change lenses.
04-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Most classical 50s aren't that frail to flaring. But still I try to use the longest lens hood possible. Because at least on the FA 1.4/50 it's proven a lens hood improves contrast at big apertures (>f/2.8).

Not pretty but very effective is the old Takumar hood for the f/3.5 135mm and f/4 200mm. Almost 6cm long and still doesn't vignettes.

04-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I cannot even think of any argument against using one (except you insist on using the feeble built-in camera flash and a lens hood throws a shadow on the subject).

Ben
Oh how sooo true!
I had been in battle with this since I usually shoot close-ups or macro and at times even the lens is in the way..haha
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Oh how sooo true!
I had been in battle with this since I usually shoot close-ups or macro and at times even the lens is in the way..haha
Yes, with some lenses vignetting is bad, espcially at short distances. In this case only an external flash will help, which I personally find the single most important piece of additional equipment – apart from a lens hood, ofcourse.

Ben
04-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I recommend the "normal" screw-on metal hoods from heavystar on eBay.

04-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flare is as much of a potential problem indoors as outdoors, because indoors, the lamp or whatever is providing the light can creates flare as surely as the sun can.
04-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I get my 50mm 1.2A tomorrow so I will definitely order one. Funny that you mention the indoor flair Marc as I shot inside with my 1.4 last evening and sure enough there was some flare from a nearby lamp. I must have just been lucky so far that I have not encountered it until now. Thanks again for all of the hood suggestions.
mike
04-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Here is my "everyday" kit.

The "lens hoods" are one or two step-down adapter rings. The F-28 (attached to the K10D body) has a 49-28, the DA 21 and DA 70 each has a 49-37 + a 37-31.5. The FA-50 (not in the photo) has a 49-28. This kind of lens hood doesn't work with zoom lenses.

My Tamron 90mm macro and Sigma 50mm macro (not in the photo) each has a 55-31.5.

Good lens protection and compact.