Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 review - pretty impressive

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Lenstip, the english verision of Optyczne.pl website posted a test of improved Samyang 14mm lens.

Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

This lens has been pulled from the market to improve flare and corner sharpness and became recently available again. For about £300 looks like a good deal.

What do you think?

Marcin

04-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Distortion looks pretty bleak, though.
04-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I saw this. Compared to the DA 15, or even the DA 14 its distortion is really bad. I don't know how much it would improve being stuck on a crop frame, but I doubt very much. Certainly doesn't look like a very good architecture lens.
04-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The resolution is very high so there should be sufficient information to correct the majority of the distortion in post.

However, when I shot with my Zenitar I almost never corrected distortion, I think it just depends on your subject matter.

04-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
The resolution is very high so there should be sufficient information to correct the majority of the distortion in post.

However, when I shot with my Zenitar I almost never corrected distortion, I think it just depends on your subject matter.

But if the distortion is bad, you will have to crop a lot, making the effective FOV narrower than 14mm. Kind of defies the purpose of paying good money (it's not top of the line, but it's not an el cheapo either) for a superwide. combined with the inability to take my ND filters, I think I'm just going to have to pass on this one. I'll stick to my 12-24 for the time being, and possibly consider the DA14.
04-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #6

I for one have quite a bit of respect and faith in Samyang to become more of a major player in affordable 3rd party lenses in the modern DSLR market. With the 8mm fisheye and 85mm 1.4 portrait prime both being big hits and both under $400, I think Samyang has the potential to build momentum quickly in the market. I have not had the chance to check out the 14mm and it is not a focal length that I would be interested in but the fisheye and the 85 are both great quality lenses (both optically and physically).

One of the things I like best about Samyang lenses is that they do put the "A" electrical contacts on their Pentax compatible lenses. The same lenses for Canon/Nikon/etc are fully manual.
04-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I was under the impression that all of Samyang's lenses were manual focus only, but that review seems to make it sound like they are all autofocus.

Ahh, just saw the post above mine, that explains it. So they're only autofocus on Pentax then?

04-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering it's FF lens, the distortions on DX (APSC) format are not all that bad IMO
04-21-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Considering it's FF lens, the distortions on DX (APSC) format are not all that bad IMO
Actually, it looks like most of the distortion is pin-cushion style––occurring in the middle of the frame, rather than the edges, so it doesn't matter if it's FF or APS-C. It's going to be bad.
04-21-2010, 05:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
(...)
Ahh, just saw the post above mine, that explains it. So they're only autofocus on Pentax then?
Manual focus, but automatic exposure, which means full use of all camera modes. MF isn't a big deal on such wide lenses anyway, zone focussing is recommended.
04-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I find this lens to be quite impressive at this price point. I'm looking for a faster/backup lens to my DA 12-24mm for real estate/architecture photos. I had hoped to see the Tokina 11-16mm in Pentax mount (pipe dream). This lens has my attention. I downloaded one of the test pics and ran it thru CS4 for 1 minute of pp work (all my real estate pics get pp'd) and the results are impressive. If i can find a copy of this lens for $400 or less, I intend to buy one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samyang-14mm-f-2-8-IF-ED-UMC-Aspherical-PENTAX-/11049874...item19ba3cf958

Last edited by ivoire; 05-07-2010 at 07:38 PM.
04-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The main reason I would consider this lens is for use on film at full frame. For APS-c, I'd rather spend more money and get a well-corrected lens.

After looking at the sample images, I'm not sure it is so bad. It is not as though a lens with a 114 degree view is going to fool anyone into thinking they are getting the view out of their bedroom window. For full frame, and at likely distances, the perspective is so strange (and therefore interesting) that I am not sure that distortion would disqualify it even if not corrected. Even on the photo that shows the distortion the worst (the long, white building with multiple balcony rails), you know that there is something weird about the perspective from the outset, and somehow the curves can be forgiven, much as in a fisheye.

Last edited by GeneV; 04-21-2010 at 07:58 AM.
04-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Just for comparison, heres a couple of recent DA12-24mm pics. one at 16mm, second at 12mm (no image correction). If you are expecting to get no distortion at these focal lengths you will always be disappointed.

Last edited by ivoire; 12-27-2010 at 01:17 PM.
04-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Just for comparison, heres a couple of recent DA12-24mm pics. one at 16mm, second at 12mm (no image correction). If you are expecting to get no distortion at these focal lengths you will always be disappointed.
The distortion on the Pentax is less, but, again, with all the perspective tricks that are likely to be going on in when one uses a lens with a FOV on film that would be about 9mm on APS-c , it is probably not a big deal for most.
04-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
True. But as an owner of the 12-24, really the only reason why I would consider (and have been considering) the Samyang was for the potential better distortion (and maybe that one stop faster aperture). Center sharpness and f2.8 won't make up for worse distortion and the inability to take filters, when compared to my 12-24 @ 14mm.

I dunno. Ever since getting a Hasselblad Super Wide C, I've been spoiled regarding distortion :-)