Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Maybe An Email Camapign To Persuade Pentax To Give Us Full Manual Video Mode

As per the topic, I think maybe we forum members need to start emailing Pentax HQ and demand/request that they give us FULL manual control in video mode.

Open up the K7 to the amateur film maker market, personally I think the K7 has great video mode but could be better, so lets get going>?

09-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Forum Member

I'm in; in fact, tell 'em it would help better position the camera as a lower priced alternative to Canon's 7D and further distinguish it from the K-x. So it makes sense for Pentax
09-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Full Manual Video Mode +1 !
09-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Banned

Full Manual Video Mode +2 !

09-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What about contacting Ned Bunnell by email?
09-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
As per the topic, I think maybe we forum members need to start emailing Pentax HQ and demand/request that they give us FULL manual control in video mode.
+1

BTW

The K-7 has failed to create its own category on cinema5d.com. However, now with the announcement of K-x, the K-x already got its own category.
http://www.cinema5d.com/viewforum.php?f=67 (I am glad that Adam created our video subforum because otherwise, this other place might attract new posters first )

I believe that the K-x will receive much wider attention from videographers (because of its affordability) and this in turn may create the user base required to make Pentax provide full manual control. The sooner the better.
09-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Out of interest how does the K7 control exposure in video mode? Does it change the aperture according to light levels? I don't really understand how shutter speed can work in video mode.

09-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Out of interest how does the K7 control exposure in video mode? Does it change the aperture according to light levels? I don't really understand how shutter speed can work in video mode.
-> Falk Lumo: K-7 as a movie camera -- PART II: Controlling video recording :ugh:
09-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks!
09-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
Forum Member

Yes, Falk's blogs are really good for understanding what may be going on behind the curtain with the K-7's video mode. If you don't understand the EV table you might want to look at a brief explanation, such as here:

What are EV and LV © 2005 KenRockwell.com

It would be interesting to get some sort of confirmation from Pentax about how they go about determining shutter speed and ISO. When using the T1i (it lists the aperture, shutter speed and ISO but gives you control over none of them) I noticed it loved to keep the shutter speed around the 1/50 range if possible. If Pentax could confirm whether they used some preferred shutter speed in movie mode it could help us get a more accurate table.

We don't even need control over EVERYTHING, if we could just set the shutter speed, for instance, then ISO could pretty much be adjusted by changing the exposure compensation. Or conversely if the ISO could be locked in we would pretty much be able to control the shutter (especially if the camera would display its settings). When I get some time I may try playing with the video, it made quite a bit of difference on the T1i, for instance, when I jumped straight from macro mode over to video mode and immediately started shooting - that seemed to snap it out of the ridiculous f/29 ISO 1600 settings it liked to pick when left to its own devices. I suspect the K-7 may be a little more methodical in determining its shutter speed/ISO combination but can't prove it (yet)

And yeah, the inclusion of the K-x on cinema5d's site without a forum for the more competent K-7 is puzzling. They could probably lump the two Pentax models together into one forum since many of their aspects will be similar (guess you could throw in the k20d too if you were masochistic enough to try and make movies with it. Hey, at least it had manual controls).

The K-7 would surely get more attention by videographers if it had more controls, its 720p is nice and crisp and filmlike, outperforming the T1i's or Nikon's 720 video modes. Or they could just stick a Canon label on the side of the camera and everyone would be fawning all over it
09-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richtrav Quote
Or they could just stick a Canon label on the side of the camera and everyone would be fawning all over it

QuoteOriginally posted by richtrav Quote
I suspect the K-7 may be a little more methodical in determining its shutter speed/ISO combination but can't prove it (yet)
The K-7 either meters exposure in the traditional way (full aperture measurement of the focus screen) or in LV/movie where the lens is automatically stopped to one of three possible positions (open, ~f/5, ~f/10). In total, this gives 4 different measurements. Given the fact that previous Pentax cameras had trouble to correctly meter with stopped down manual lenses, I found it amazing how close all 4 measurements fit together. Not a trivial achievement.

And yes, previous settings don't matter when switching to video mode.
09-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
Forum Member

Doh, I should have clarified, I was thinking about how it decides how to set the ISO and shutter speed when the aperture is locked.
09-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It seems odd.

If the camera can automatically set shutter & ISO then why should it be an issue to just make it manual? wouldn't it take more camera processing power to control the above functions automatically??
09-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
Forum Member

Well that's a very good question. The only thing I can think of is that it is usually better to shoot video with a lower shutter speed (about 1/60 sec or a little faster) to prevent it from looking too choppy. Some people accustomed to shooting stills may try and get the highest shutter speed possible, not realizing it may look their videos look worse. There may also be some issues setting the shutter speed slower than the 1/30 frame rate.

That's about the ONLY reason I can think of, and it's a pretty weak one at that (all they'd have to do is give you some recommended shutter speeds and let you decide). Heck, even if there were some way of just seeing the ISO and shutter speed would be helpful
09-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
o!d

Anyone got an email adress they suggest sending mail to? Seems good to concentrate on one adress.

Or online petition? Lots of free hosting sites about.

O
Closed Thread