Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #1

Pentax wants to hear what you want to think ... video edition

OK ...... so i had my phone conversation with Mr Malcom this morning and though I would share with you my experience. I wanted to post it in this forum to avoid the I dont want video in my peanutbutter arguments that alwasy occur in the general forum.

He was short on time since he was at CES and the conversation only lasted about 30 min. Since I mostly live in the world of Film and video production I slanted my discussions to him from the video capabilites angle.

The good news is that I got the feeling he would like to improve the video capabilites of the cameras and bring them to a "useable" level. (Useable is my word)

Topics touched on briefly some brought up by me with out comment from him, some brought up by him in either comment or question: form factor, the lack of manual contol with classic manual lenses, true full manual mode, HDMI output during recording, Audio and other connections. 4k and RAW

We discussed the current generation video and film students are turning to other offerings and there is little for them in pentax like the old K1000 that so many learned photography on. we also discussed that video on a still camera is really a fairly accecpted practice.

it was a short conversation and he ask me to send him some more notes and would like to continue the converastion at a later time.
In general for video it seemed positive and I got the feeling it is an area they would like to improve their products.

Just wanted the vidiots out there to know not all discussions centered around full frame, autofocus and flash photocentric concerns.
cheers

01-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find it impressive that he asks you to send some notes to him and to continue the conversation at a later time. That's a good representative for Pentax.
01-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I find it impressive that he asks you to send some notes to him and to continue the conversation at a later time. That's a good representative for Pentax.
Yes, that is a very good sign. This conversation process seems to be going well. Glad to hear it.
01-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'm afraid that he might be saying that to everyone hahah, he asked me come contacts here in Brazil and asked to talk again later...i don't think its going to happen, but we can't ask for too much...he is probably pretty busy.

01-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
I'm afraid that he might be saying that to everyone hahah, he asked me come contacts here in Brazil and asked to talk again later...i don't think its going to happen, but we can't ask for too much...he is probably pretty busy.
Ah ok - we can only hope he actually calls a few of you guys back!
01-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Although OP's conversation was unique, i don't think anyone talked about video with him, so that might have something to do with it.
01-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good input, and good going getting Jim's ear on this topic. It should show some signs of development of video in the upcoming products...

01-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #8

Thanks for linking me to here

Does he actually want some notes on what to do with video? If so we could post a few suggestions. Although all we really need is manual control in the K5. Since its MJPEG is pretty good.
01-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sounds like a great conversation! And in general, I find this whole approach of talking to people and hearing out what they want to be incredibly heartening. In my mind, it shows that the new Pentax management is very serious about become what we all want them to be. And the first step, is finding out what that it.

I have a phone meeting scheduled with him in a week, and rest assured that among other things, I will be heavily reinforcing your message of the importance of competitive video features.
01-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Sounds like a great conversation! And in general, I find this whole approach of talking to people and hearing out what they want to be incredibly heartening. In my mind, it shows that the new Pentax management is very serious about become what we all want them to be. And the first step, is finding out what that it.

I have a phone meeting scheduled with him in a week, and rest assured that among other things, I will be heavily reinforcing your message of the importance of competitive video features.
Do you mind adding if they would consider updating the K5 with manual control?
01-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would also add that the functionality of Magic Lantern (focus peaking, masks for different aspect ratios, increased bit rates, focus peaking during recording, manual control of audio input levels, and others), the ability to add custom picture profiles, such as flaat styles, and partnership with companies such as Technicolor (for their Cinestyle picture profile), would put Pentax in a competitive position. Personally, I feel that all of these things are more important than the ability to record in 4K, but that could just be me.

Actually, I believe that simply partnering with some working cinematographers would help, since they would have a better perspective of what users are looking for.
01-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
Do you mind adding if they would consider updating the K5 with manual control?
That actually doesn't fall onto the list of competitive video features. That's on the list of features needed to be competitive 2 years ago...
01-11-2013, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #13

That actually doesn't fall onto the list of competitive video features. That's on the list of features needed to be competitive 2 years ago...
Haha very true , but if they added the manual control to the K5 I think it would be in line with the competition, its pretty good codec imo.

You should add that they should let you change iso and aperture while recording. I think they'd be the first to do that
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
Haha very true , but if they added the manual control to the K5 I think it would be in line with the competition, its pretty good codec imo.

You should add that they should let you change iso and aperture while recording. I think they'd be the first to do that
Especially if they could find a way to declick all their lens and the stepping process.

I go back in forth on the codec. It's a decent for quality and ability to be graded, but it's so huge. It's nice being able to shoot on the K-30 and get 100+ minutes off a 32gb card, instead 45 min.

I think the three things the K-5 needs most to be competitive are Manual controls for exposure and audio, Audio monitoring, via meters and a headphone jack (while recording), and 24p/30p options for Full HD. Without those three things, it doesn't exist as far as the professional video world is concerned. Things that would make it really stand out a lot more are clean HDMI out, The first thing I mentioned, 1080p/60 and 720p/120.

And if they really wanted to break some ground that could make a second battery grip specific for video. Similar to a BeachTek or JuiceLink, give it two XLR input, a mixer, has a slot for a 9v instead of DSLR battery and has a pre-amp, audio output, line in to the camera, weathersealed, and so on, that would be amazing.
01-11-2013, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

And if they really wanted to break some ground that could make a second battery grip specific for video. Similar to a BeachTek or JuiceLink, give it two XLR input, a mixer, has a slot for a 9v instead of DSLR battery and has a pre-amp, audio output, line in to the camera, weathersealed, and so on, that would be amazing.
That WOULD be amazing!