Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2010, 12:25 AM - 43 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PentaxForums.com Tutorial Series - Part II: Site Sections

This is the second installment in our series of site usage tutorials. After reading these handy guides, you might just happen to rediscover our site!

If this tutorial was helpful to you, please let me know by leaving a comment via the reputation system- click
the [Add to Reputation] link directly above this text!

There will be one lucky winner of increased attachment space once this tutorial series ends

There's much more to pentaxforums.com than just our discussion forum. Read on to see what else site members have access to!

The Navbar

The navbar is located at the top of every forum page, and provides you with quick access to other key site sections. Typically, each button has a dropdown menu with further options. Below, the key links from each sub-menu are outlined.

Note that the Marketplace button is only accessible for users who have access to sell in that section- Site Supporters, Resellers, and Pentaxians.

Monthly Photo Contests

Each month, we run a single-theme official photo contest open to all forum members. Prizes will be awarded as we get sponsors (rumors have it that we'll have some prizes available very soon ). To vote for this month's winners, click here. To submit an entry, proceed to the submission forum (simply create a new thread with your photo in it).

The contest forum is found below the 'post your photos' forum (link above).

Social Groups

Rather than having to resort to regular threads for special-interest/geographic groups to discuss events and other matters, we have a social group system that facilitates discussions, tracks calendar events, and can contain custom group albums.

Marketplace

Our Marketplace allows forum members to buy and sell photographic items. Anything photographic may be sold in this section (not just Pentax gear). Any forum member can buy; you must be a Site Supporter (have donated), Pentaxian (1000+ posts or 2 years' membership), or Reseller (commercial access purchased) to sell.

We also feature a 'Wanted' section and a 'Price Watch' section in addition to the 'For Sale' section.

Pentax Lens Reviews & Accessory Reviews

Three of our four review databases are dedicated to Pentax lenses and accessories. We have separate databases for Genuine Pentax Lenses, Third-Party Lenses, and Pentax Camera Accessories. These database allow for complex in-depth, user-contributed reviews (all sections), as well as user-contributed lens/accessory entries (third-party only).

Pentax Camera Reviews

Our final database contains a listing of Pentax digital & film bodies (except screwmount cameras, which are still being worked on). Like the lens review database, it has a review form allowing for in-depth reviews.

Pentax Articles

This is one of our less-used site sections, and we'd like to develop it. The article system allows users to post useful articles for permanent reference. In addition, we allow users to request the conversion of a helpful thread into an article.

User Photo Gallery

The first of our centralized photo-storage systems, this gallery hosts several photo-based events. It also allows users to store large images in categorized sections, but does not feature individual albums. EXIF info for photos is shown; no resolution limit.

Member Photo Albums

Our second centralized photo storage systems allows members to create individual named albums. Albums can be either public, private, or tied to a social group. Albums are linked to from the postbit, as well as from member profiles. Photos are limited to 1024x1024 pixels. Members can upload up to 40 photos; those who have donated once, 100; those who have re-donated, 200.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
let me know by leaving a comment via the reputation system- click the [Add to Reputation] link directly above this text!
I couldn't since I recommended on of your other posts before and although I've been spreading recommendations, I apparently haven't done enough yet to recommend one of your posts again.

Anyhow, I love the screenshot just before "User Photo Gallery".
05-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Thanks Adam
05-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #4

Reply to Part 2 of the tutorial

I guess this is how you want us to reply. Yes it was helpful, I am going to search my posts now to see what RSS stands for.

05-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A good reminder, thank you.
05-09-2010, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I couldn't since I recommended on of your other posts before and although I've been spreading recommendations, I apparently haven't done enough yet to recommend one of your posts again.

Anyhow, I love the screenshot just before "User Photo Gallery".
Hehe, you should be all set for the drawing, as your name was already in the pool

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Forum Member

I love the shot of the "Member Photo Albums!!!" The moon shot is mine. Thanks for immortalizing it!

05-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

thanks for the photo limits... i have been wondering why i cannot post anymore, didn't think I was at 40 or 100....
05-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Articles

I had never noticed the articles section so now I see the utility of this tutorial series. Thank You to our leaders.
05-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reminders, forgot about some of the features..There are so many
05-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Thanks for doing these tutorials, Adam.
I'd like to see more in the Articles section also.
Tim
05-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a very novice photographer, I found this opened my eyes to what is available on this Pentax forum. Thank you for the help to improve my skills. Bob
05-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
Inactive Account

You know I like the fact you are offering more space to people who respond. I would much rather see photography tutorials rather than how to use a forum tutorial. IMHO
05-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
Forum Member

I "added to reputation" on the first tutorial, too. Hence I'm unable to do so again. Sorry Adam.

At least I now know to aim for over a thousand posts: then I may _finally_ become a "Pentaxian".
05-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
All you need is 195 more posts, due to your long membership

Who knows, you might just happen to win the status instead!

Adam