Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
An abandoned house
Lens: DAL 18-55 Camera: K-x ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 

Here is my first sample pic using my new K-x. I am completely new to the DSLR world and still getting a hang of my new toy. This was shot in P mode, JPEG. Editing involved cropping, applying some warmth and added a border.

Let me know if this works.

02-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is the original version of the photo. Let me know how would you have composed/shot/edited this photo differently.

Forgot to mention that I use Picasa for editing. Have served me well for little editing I do with my photos. Yet to find a decent program to add different types of borders to photos.

02-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love it!
02-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice

My only suggestion is one of cropping. For me, the right side of the photo is a little distracting. My eye seams pulled there. The larger building is the main show so I'd crop the right building to about two thirds of the right side of the roof. This would pull the focus back to the main building.

Once again, Nice Photo

joe

02-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rachcobb Quote
I love it!
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
Nice

My only suggestion is one of cropping. For me, the right side of the photo is a little distracting. My eye seams pulled there. The larger building is the main show so I'd crop the right building to about two thirds of the right side of the roof. This would pull the focus back to the main building.

Once again, Nice Photo

joe
I tried that earlier but that leaves the smaller barn and the tree half cut in the frame which makes the photo seems incomplete. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here's one more try with a different border and slightly darker sky. I want to apply some noise reduction but can't find a decent free program for Mac.

02-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I do think a photo needs a frame to end the scene and I like that you're keeping it simple. Some people go overboard with them. I use to do just the simple black line but decided it lacks in presentation. Your second one is better in my opinion.

Re the photo and the crop. For me it works fine. The big building on the left and the smaller one on the right with the big tree behind it kind of balances it. Were you to crop it you would need to crop enough to lose the tree IMO. As a whole scene it works pretty well. Don't be afraid to play with different types of crops.

All that said, this looks like used property to me. THIS is what I would call abandoned.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5208/5352898356_428f96a820_z.jpg

02-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I do think a photo needs a frame to end the scene and I like that you're keeping it simple. Some people go overboard with them. I use to do just the simple black line but decided it lacks in presentation. Your second one is better in my opinion.
You are right. I started without a frame but wasn't really convinced about it till I added a frame. Some photos just don't punch enough without a frame, I guess this is one of them.

QuoteQuote:
Re the photo and the crop. For me it works fine. The big building on the left and the smaller one on the right with the big tree behind it kind of balances it. Were you to crop it you would need to crop enough to lose the tree IMO. As a whole scene it works pretty well. Don't be afraid to play with different types of crops.
Have been playing with quite a few crops, but nothing is as satisfying as current one.

QuoteQuote:
All that said, this looks like used property to me. THIS is what I would call abandoned.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5208/5352898356_428f96a820_z.jpg

Well there are properties around this which are functional, but this one is not. Probably it was till a recent time, but I haven't noticed any activity here since I have been passing from here (since a month).

Thanks for the comments. It does help.

02-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #8

The second version is better. More interesting (intense colors). Maybe the frame is too much (not really distracting), a thin black line is enough.
And (I know, you can't put the Sun on the other side of the sky) the shadow is too big on the house, so the main theme is a bit dark.
Just a smaller detail or a wider (then the original) angle of view gives you a better result - it could emphasize that it is abandoned. This is not a bad shot, everybody has many similar, simply not too spectacular.
02-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Forum Member

Off on a tangent here.

I just searched for this on the internet and couldnt find anything about this. Has anyone else heard of this?

I am in an introductory photo class. We talked about "stroke borders" much like the simple black frame on the original photo. It was explained that these were traditionally used by photojournalists working in film to show that the photo had not been cropped at all. Reason being that cropping a journalistic photo could completely change its meaning/context. Of course digitally a stroke border loses its significance, but do we as the next generation of photographers owe it to the craft to respect the integrity of the crafts history?
02-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The rules of photo journalism still apply but most of us are on the more creative side of photography where there are no rules, only images that are more or less interesting.

Using the photo in this thread as an example....If RonakG had cropped out a toxic waste dump from the left of the photo it would have no bearing on how much I like the photo. If RonakG was trying to sell me the property, I would very much be interested in the toxic waste dump.