Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It Always Starts With Pizza...
Lens: Various Camera: K5 Photo Location: Texas 

...and Hot Wings! I shot a new girl this afternoon, she has never modeled before and I am no good at instructions. Shelby and Lacie were working and not available to come help ( Next week!) so we did the best we could to get a few decent shots.

Starts with the Pizza!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Dottie 43 Ltd 1/60 F4 ISO 80
[IMG] [/IMG]

Tall and slender....DA*50-135 1/80 F5 ISO 80
[IMG] [/IMG]

DA*50-135 1/80 F5 ISO 80
[IMG] [/IMG]

Not a lady-like pose....but who's complaining? DA*50-135 1/60 F5 ISO 80
[IMG] [/IMG]

Of course she is a Texas Girl! 43 Ltd 1/60 F5 ISO 80
[IMG] [/IMG]

She is a lovely girl, full of energy and a fun and bubbly personality....I look forward to the next time! Nokton 58mm 1/80 F5 ISO 80
[IMG] [/IMG]

Using the K5 is new to me for this, and I'm not sure I did it justice, but it is very easy to use in a studio setting, and in the hands of a more competent shooter could perform miracles, no doubt. Very smooth to operate, and very fast to focus and lock. The metering appears to me to be far superior to my K20D, it was the first thing I noticed...much easier for me to get a better exposure most every time.
I'm sort of out of practice, and since I never was "in practice" too well, I feel lucky to get anything at all today!
What I have so far from today is here... Dottie - a set on Flickr

Best Regards!
Rupert

04-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #2

nice shots Rupert, nice model also
04-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very pretty girl Rupert although her eyes in the fourth shot kind of creep me out. Did you take the last piece of pizza?
04-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Underman! She is a lovely and fun girl! She is a little older than my usual models, 26 with four kids, but still has good looks!

Susan, I brought the leftover Pizza home and Mrs Rupert ate the last piece! Really......
Best Regards!

04-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty momma.
#3 works very nicely Rupert.
Must be me, but I like the more natural/balanced non-made-up face in #1 before she started the shoot as in the modelled shots (except perhaps 3 and 4) there is paler colour to her face.
She'd be fun to shoot again and again.
04-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ash!.....She wanted to get a few good shots for her husband, and I think we did that...anyhow she was thrilled, which is all that counts. I'm almost never completely happy with what I get, but I keep going......I may never be good, but I can always have a good time! I think the last one was my favorite?
Best Regards!
Rupert
04-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The third one is very nice. I think it would be even better if the subject had more distance between her and the wall.

Also, a reflector is needed in all the other shots to soften and lighten those shadows on her face. You continue to improve your skills, but I think a flash bounced off a reflector would really help too.

04-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #8

Nice to see you rounded up some new talent. Nice effort. Watch the hair light, its a bit hot in some of your shots creating high lights on her face.
04-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I like better 1, 5 and 6 where i can see the eyes. In the others her hair is obstructing one of her eyes which I think is distracting.
05-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately, it shows that she hasn't modeled before. Thankfully, shots 3 and the final shot came out looking decent. I find that with inexperienced models, you end up with far less usable shots, unless you provide strong instruction on posing. You can see her arms are too tight against her body in the first two shots. She must have been tense. Also, watch for her stray hairs like in the last shot.

White balance looks normal in the first shot, but the rest look cold.
05-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

good series Rupert.
Just couple of things:
#3 tall and slender, there is some sort of smudge on the trousers, her right leg, our left side which I believe is worth cloning out, and I'm not too fond of the tiny small gap between her thighs (no pun intended) where the background shines through...
#5 not lady-like pose, why did you crop her feet off?!?! It ruins the shot for me. Especially considering you had wider lens (43) available?

pick of the bunch would be the last one with Nokton 58.
05-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like the last photo.
05-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This is a weird set. I don't know what the point of it is...

The lighting is too flat in almost every single one of these photos.

There are too many obvious and ugly shadows both on her and on the background in some of these photos.

The photos have not been colour matched for consistency. Way too much magenta in the fan photo.
05-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments, both good and not so good. I hope to learn something from comments, but never seem to correct one problem without creating two or three more....

Now while I am a pure amateur, as are my models, I can absolutely guarantee that we accomplish our main goal......to have a little fun, some Pizza and Hot Wings, and maybe get a couple of decent shots. If anyone has more fun than I do, you need to check your blood pressure, it is bound to be off the charts.

Best Regards!
05-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thanks for the comments, both good and not so good. I hope to learn something from comments, but never seem to correct one problem without creating two or three more....

Now while I am a pure amateur, as are my models, I can absolutely guarantee that we accomplish our main goal......to have a little fun, some Pizza and Hot Wings, and maybe get a couple of decent shots. If anyone has more fun than I do, you need to check your blood pressure, it is bound to be off the charts.

Best Regards!
I thought that best part of being a photographer is sleeping with the models... and you're talking about pizza and wings? I'm not a photographer, so I can't speak of my experiences.