Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 09:21 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Hardest Critic
Lens: Mamyia Sekor 55mm 1.4 M42 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Home ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F2.8 

Here's an experiment in post processing. A bit of a blown out look but I think I like it. She did.

Lit with a home made beauty dish at 11 o'clock.

Let me know what you think. Do you like the photograph? No, I will not post the original. She'd kill me haha. Just look at this and spill the beans.

08-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #2

I really like it. The lighting is pretty good. Possibly a little bright/shiny on the forehead above the eyes. But I think it's a very flattering shot. Focus is perfect too btw!
08-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I absolutely love this, everything about it; terrific lighting, DOF is absolutely perfect, razor sharp where it should be, high key PP perfect for this, right amount of PP on skin (in fact if you've done skin smoothing I can't tell, which is a sign of excellent PP), even the wet hair look is a winner IMHO. Double thumbs up from me
08-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Here comes critique:

1. Model is too close to background - shadow on it.
2. You've moved your beauty-dish to the left - you've got asymmetric shadow (under the nose).
3. The shadows are too deep - you'd better use the reflector from below.
4. In photos like this you'd better include the neck and the shoulders in the frame and 'cut out' the hair.
5. Light like that gives the most interesting picture in the light/shadow area (on the cheeks here). But it also reveals skin texture, small hair, wrinkles etc. Should be very accurate with it, also make-up before and PP after is needed in this situation.

Otherwise the photo is good, model is very nice and the experiment is successful.

08-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It sure has a distinctive look. And I like it.
I agree that the forehead and cheeks just to the left and right of the nose could be pulled back a bit.
I'm assuming the shadowing, proximity to the background and cropping are all your intended choices and I find none of them distracting or detracting from the photo.
Beyond the basic look of the photo its the focus and DOF choices you made that makes the photo for me.

I very much like it.
08-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noons Quote
I really like it. The lighting is pretty good. Possibly a little bright/shiny on the forehead above the eyes. But I think it's a very flattering shot. Focus is perfect too btw!
Thank You. I agree with the shiny forehead. She just got home from work so make up mattered very little at that point.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I absolutely love this, everything about it; terrific lighting, DOF is absolutely perfect, razor sharp where it should be, high key PP perfect for this, right amount of PP on skin (in fact if you've done skin smoothing I can't tell, which is a sign of excellent PP), even the wet hair look is a winner IMHO. Double thumbs up from me
No skin smoothing here. Just some dodge/burn and slight healing. I do't like fakes. I keep things that are natural in the photo. Thank You for your comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by NoMaD_PS Quote
Here comes critique:

1. Model is too close to background - shadow on it.
2. You've moved your beauty-dish to the left - you've got asymmetric shadow (under the nose).
3. The shadows are too deep - you'd better use the reflector from below.
4. In photos like this you'd better include the neck and the shoulders in the frame and 'cut out' the hair.
5. Light like that gives the most interesting picture in the light/shadow area (on the cheeks here). But it also reveals skin texture, small hair, wrinkles etc. Should be very accurate with it, also make-up before and PP after is needed in this situation.

Otherwise the photo is good, model is very nice and the experiment is successful.
1. Agreed. This was a quick and dirty shot for PP practice. Just needed a uniform background.
2. Bit of a balancing act here. I was holding the flash/beauty dish with my left while trying to get the pre-set focus hit the eyes. In retrospect, I held the flash too high.
3. That's my next step. Thanks for the suggestion. I'd like to introduce light modifiers.
4. This one I don't understand... but another person told me the same. Some unwritten rule?
5. Again, I'm a fan of real looks.
Thanks for the critique! I appreciate honesty.

QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
It sure has a distinctive look. And I like it.
I agree that the forehead and cheeks just to the left and right of the nose could be pulled back a bit.
I'm assuming the shadowing, proximity to the background and cropping are all your intended choices and I find none of them distracting or detracting from the photo.
Beyond the basic look of the photo its the focus and DOF choices you made that makes the photo for me.

I very much like it.
Thanks. The proximity to background was something I had to deal with. The rest were creative choices.

Again, thank You all for taking the time to write your thoughts. I really appreciate your feedback.
08-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll be a little contrarian here, and say that I like the face-only shot. Normally I don't - it often seems so invasive somehow - but maybe it's something about your processing that makes it comfortable for me. Also, outside of the fact that she is very pretty, I find this to be an extremely sexy shot. It's the natural look, I think, and her expression. I hope you continue on this path and post more photos.

08-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Beautiful man, the eyes, expression and the B/W feel, just lovely. As what others said, a bit to close to the background and shiny.
08-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
No skin smoothing here. Just some dodge/burn and slight healing. I do't like fakes. I keep things that are natural in the photo. Thank You for your comments.
Wait till you're wife is in her mid/late 30's, she might have a different view from you on the use of skin smoothing
08-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys!

Re: skin smoothing

I suppose so! It's just that I see it overdone soooooo much that it doesn't look like that person anymore.
08-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
Thank you guys!

Re: skin smoothing

I suppose so! It's just that I see it overdone soooooo much that it doesn't look like that person anymore.
True, like with anything in PP it can be abused, and for some reason it's usually way overused on 20 y.o. gorgeous models
09-05-2011, 03:35 AM   #12

This is a great photo, Voytech! The tones, the contrast, the focus and the exposure is spot on. The composition reminds me a little of an ID photo, albeit a good one. I'm surprised at how the Mamiya Sekor 55mm/1.4 is so sharp and detailed. I'd like to see more portraiture with the setup you were using. I hope your "critic" is pleased by your work!
09-05-2011, 04:26 AM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done with the exposure, lighting and PP work.
Indeed, where there is room for improvement is the pose (a little plain and doesn't portray the character of the subject well), the framing (head-chopped off look is a little disconcerting) and the distance from subject to background (as mentioned previously).
Otherwise, this is a sharp portrait.
09-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
I know nothing about portrait photography so take this with a grain of salt...

... but for me, whilst the photo and the subject are very pleasing to the eye, I find the fact that everything is almost straight and square-on, but not quite, to be a bit distracting. Even when rotated to line the eyes up, other features don't look straight. I'm guessing the model would need to be carefully standing very straight to make this "straight down the barrel" look work. (And the lighting would also have to be dead-on or clearly well to one side.)