Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last Flight of the Evening
Lens: Sigma 70-300 APO DG Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Northern Colorado ISO: 400 Aperture: F22 

I'm trying to work on my sunsets, shooting directly into the sun and not having details too washed out. I guess this process works better with different lenses, but for this image I used my Sigma 70-300 APO DG at 70mm and F22.

This scene was shot at my local airport this evening (I was watching the planes practice touch and goes).

12-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Merry Xmas

Last edited by Schraubstock; 06-05-2012 at 06:41 AM.
12-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The original is much better, IMO (there's a lot of banding on your "fixed" version, among other strange stuff).

Happy Xmas.
12-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
(there's a lot of banding on your "fixed" version, among other strange stuff).
The banding and other artifacts are solely the result of low res highly compressed JPG images having reached their limitation. This sort of work is usually done in RAW or TIF format (better 16 bit per channel) which have more latitude and you will find this sort of banding will not occur. Therefore the banding and other artifacts you see here are really meaningless. This is not supposed (cannot) be the final image quality.

I merely wanted to illustrate that the camera sensor truthfully recorded a fair bit of the blue sky and it was only covered up intentionally or unintentionally with a yellow overlay which by the way is liked and preferred by a lot of people these days. If the blue of the sky was not recorded by the sensor I could not get it to show. Not by just removing the cast anyway. It was recorded by the camera, trust me. And I must say there is nothing wrong with a liking for yellow images. If you like it do it, it is a free country. (At least where I reside) Had the OP mentioned that he intentionally added this yellow cast to the image I would have perhaps queried it as part of the critique request but I would have been hesitant in my correcting the picture.

People who like a yellow casts staunchly defend this preference and will not accept anything else in my experience and refuse to look on the other side of the coin, so to speak. I can live with a yellow cast if it makes people happy. I won't give my photography a yellow "varnish". Unfortunately however the "yellow lovers" cannot live with nor accept a true colour image rendering and often in no uncertain terms let me know this.

My corrected image above (as good as I can make it considering the low res compressed JPG limitations) is just my critique service to the best of my ability.

Greeting and have a merry Xmas.

12-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
People who like a yellow casts
Right! I hope you can sing along...

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

Cheers!