Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Dog and Art - Distracting Background? (8 voigtlander 125mm + 1.7 AF TC pix inside)

Had some fun with the Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 and the Pentax 1.7X AF TC the last two days (shooting some action @ 1st) making for a 212m AF lens (TC requires f/4 or higher) and tried it out in a number of circumstances. Towards the end of my shooting today I decided to plop Zoe -- my super model Shiba Inu w/her long legs and striking good looks -- on one of our iron chairs and snap some shots. As I did so I noted the the background immediately and tried to incorporate it/them into the photographs; my wife inherited these old paintings from her Grand Parents that as a pair tell a story.

What do you have to say about these, in particular how it works or doesn't with the background? I'm not bothered by Zoe's snout 'cut' by the background color changing from the frame to the color painting. Wondering how many agree or disagree? Any other C&Cs to offer? There's a few of these I'm thinking about ordering a large format print of actually.

The candidates for possibly having a "distracting" background (or not?):

(all photos are shot at f/4)

-=-=-=-=-

#4 What is it in the BG anyway?
(I love how Zoe happens to even be looking in that direction @ just the right moment )

-=-=-=-=-

Not [or "not so"] distracting background photos:

#5 (hands down sharpest of the series)

#7 I LOVE this photograph, with a view of the other 'sister' painting (just wish Zoe in it and the next was in better focus )

03-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I enjoyed the series! Such a beautiful dog! And, the background somehow works for me. It's busy, yes.... but, it's your home.... the places where we live are like that... not sterile photo studios.
03-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Its a beautiful sreies of pictures. Yep, you nailed no5, nice and sharp, good pose, I just find the armrest a bit distracting (as in some the others too) maybe being a bit picky though.

Lovely dog(s) you have