Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

New to Pentax, New to Photography
Lens: 18-55mm AL WR Camera: k-5 

I just got a brand new K-5 with the WR kit lens. I'm new to photography, so I'm looking for some advice. Here are some pictures I took yesterday. What do you think? How can I make them better? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by liquid85; 04-15-2014 at 02:25 PM.
04-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by liquid85 Quote
What do you think? How can I make them better? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Ask yourself - What do you think? How might they be better? Then go back and try . That's where the fun of it is, for me at least.

But FWIW it looks like you have an eye for visually interesting subjects. Some of them might benefit from going back in different lighting conditions (time of day, weather) as all are currently in flat shade conditions (not that that's always unwanted) and in some cases with harsh backlighting. I'd also have a play with levels, contrast, white balance and saturation - for my liking I'd start playing with #3 and #5, probably more contrast, and either monochrome or warmer and more saturation - but again, there's the fun - try various things and see.
04-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a great camera, you can grow with it as far as you wish. Have fun, lots of fun, and learn all you can along the way. I never got much past the having fun part, but that's OK too!

Plenty of people here will help you, lots of Forums here, just ask when you have a question.
Best Regards!
04-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentaxforums and to photography!
Your photo of the lock is my favorite.
And you have the beginnings of an interesting collection of photos of signs.
I think the photo of the yellow flower would be even more appealing with sharper focus on the flower's petals. That might have been more easily achieved with a smaller aperture, but I understand that you probably were trying to have a very blurry background.
I think you have a good eye for composition, and you probably are paying attention to potentially distracting elements of backgrounds.
Best wishes, and I hope to see more of your photos.

Last edited by smf; 04-07-2013 at 04:10 AM. Reason: fix typo
04-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #5

Congratulations with your K-5, a lovely camera! Two of your photos appeal to me: the lock and the bench. I'll give some comments on the first mentiond.

Obviously the lock is the piece of interest. My eye is attracted to the brand "ABUS" but unfortunately it's not entirely in focus, starting already at the "B". This is not due to bad focussing. Try to increase the depth of field by selecting a different aperture. If you can go back to the same place -> take this shot several times with your camera on Av modus. Play with the aperture and see what it does to your photos.
04-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the input. I went back out today about an hour before sunset and took some more pics. I tried to apply everyones advice. What do you think?

Last edited by liquid85; 04-15-2014 at 02:25 PM.
04-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like you're off to a great start.

04-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

In the second, interesting group of photos I especially like the photograph of the sign depicting a woman. Regarding the photo of the speed limit sign, I suggest that you crop out the alarm box at right. You might want to come even more to the left and up from the bottom if the spikes on the fence posts are distracting.