Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Stage Photography with K10D

Hello

I need Tips on Clicking Kids/Amateur Stage performance photographs. Most of the school stages have low light and flood lights. I have noticed pictures at High ISO number have yellowish color, possibly due to color temperature of stage light.

Any tips to improve, at low or no-cost is appreciated.

BTW, I have a K10D. Sigma 18-200 Lens, Pentax AF 540 FGZ flah and Stofen Diffuser.

Thanks

G. Hedge

02-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Because of the shifting light patterns, I'd be shooting raw so that you can colour correct/WB correct later. Shoot in P mode if you're in doubt about shutter speed/aperture settings.

Your 18-200 will be very dark in this setting anywhere past 70mm, are you sure the performance will allow flash photos? You're going to be strobing that flash a lot! Otherwise try to get a good seat as close to the front as possible, don't go anywhere past 70mm, and bump your ISO to 800 or 1600. Sure it's going to be noisy, but if you need shots, do what you gotta do.

Last edited by Alvin; 02-16-2007 at 04:21 PM.
02-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I know this is unrelated to your situation in a lot of ways. But it may give you some ideas.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/2327-better-basket...tos-k100d.html

If you are looking for some cheap non-flash solutions, you could look at used manual focus lenses such as a 135mm f2.8 - some go as cheap as $10-15 USD on e-bay. Or if you are looking closer range, go with 50mm f/2 or 55mm f/2 which can go around the same price range.

The only thing now is that you have to know how to use them with your camera. But if you're not in a rush, post another question in the D-SLR discussion thread and I'm sure everyone will jump in.

Hope this all helps.
02-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #4

A few suggestions

Each year, I shoot several functions (banquets, etc.) which are held in auditoriums with similar lighting. That is, the room is generally dark and lit with spot lights. Here are my suggestions:
- get to the location early and use a greycard to get the proper exposure settings for direct spot light, indirect light, and remaining unlit areas. Write these on a cheat sheet or memorize them. During the performance, use the manual mode to take the camera's meter out of the equation because the meter will not know what to do with the funky lighting.
- if you do have to use the camera's meter, use spot metering
- bump up the ISO to at least 800. Don't worry about noise because nobody outside of dpreview cares, especially not the parents ;-)
- don't use a flash because it is really distracting to the subjects and annoying to the audience
- don't chimp during the performance because great moments will sneak up on you. If you're worried about the exposure, take test shots before the performance.
- most important, have fun!

I hope this helps.

02-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghegde Quote
Hello

I need Tips on Clicking Kids/Amateur Stage performance photographs. Most of the school stages have low light and flood lights. I have noticed pictures at High ISO number have yellowish color, possibly due to color temperature of stage light.

BTW, I have a K10D. Sigma 18-200 Lens, Pentax AF 540 FGZ flah and Stofen Diffuser.

Thanks

G. Hedge
what photo editing program do you have?
If you have photoshop cs2, then the photo filters work very well in correcting color temperature if you don't shoot in raw. I sometimes correct in raw, then apply a photo filter at a less intensity to get the color temperature the way I like it.

good luck

randy
02-17-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Flash

Hello

Thanks

G. Hedge
If I were you I would NOT use flash. You will destroy all of the beautiful ambient spot lighting that the lighting technicians designed. Just think of it as your own studio, that you had your lighting tech set up for you. If you can, get your hands on a faster zoom lens, i.e. a Tamron 28-75 f2.8, brutally sharp, one of the best out there, how unfortunate that I can't use it on my Pentax. It is from my Canon kit. Remember, you have SR and can shoot at 400 to 800 iso at 2.8. This will give you at least a 1/30th of a second. Before each photo, take a deep breath, hold it until you press the shutter. Color correct in Camera Raw or try Auto Color correct or Auto Level correct in PS. I prefer not to correct the overall light. If you wish just add about +10 in the blues.

Ben
02-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Take a couple of handkerchiefs to wipe your sweaty palms on! Inside those places with all those bodies and lights can get very warm.

02-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
All

It is an interesting situation to get kids pictures without causing distarction with Flash photography. Looks like I need to pick up F2.8 or 1.4 lense, a good editor and learn technique from many experts.

And, may be come back with more questions soon !!

Thanks all
02-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It is an interesting situation to get kids pictures without causing distarction with Flash photography. Looks like I need to pick up F2.8 or 1.4 lense, a good editor and learn technique from many experts.
It all depends on the lighting levels. I checked the photos I took last time - I did OK with my 50-200 f/4-5.6. At 200mm and at f/5.6 using ISO600-800 mostly, occasionally ISO 1100, I got most of the shots between 1/60s to 1/90s, occasionally at 1/45s and 1/125s. I used a monopod, and it is much less tiring and allows me to shoot at a lower speed.
02-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
If I were you I would NOT use flash. You will destroy all of the beautiful ambient spot lighting that the lighting technicians designed. Just think of it as your own studio, that you had your lighting tech set up for you. If you can, get your hands on a faster zoom lens, i.e. a Tamron 28-75 f2.8, brutally sharp, one of the best out there, how unfortunate that I can't use it on my Pentax. It is from my Canon kit. Remember, you have SR and can shoot at 400 to 800 iso at 2.8. This will give you at least a 1/30th of a second. Before each photo, take a deep breath, hold it until you press the shutter. Color correct in Camera Raw or try Auto Color correct or Auto Level correct in PS. I prefer not to correct the overall light. If you wish just add about +10 in the blues.

Ben
the only thing is that 1/30 of a second might not be enough to capture someone moving on the stage without THEM blurring.

take as many shots as you can, and try to make sure you take them when they are not moving.

just my amateur 2 Cents

randy
02-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
the only thing is that 1/30 of a second might not be enough to capture someone moving on the stage without THEM blurring.

take as many shots as you can, and try to make sure you take them when they are not moving.

just my amateur 2 Cents

randy
You can try for 1600 and try going for 1/60th, 1/90th of a second. Mind that you will get more 4x6 prints and perhaps a semi decent 8x10 because of the "noise".
02-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hello

As suggested, I browsed concert pictures thread.

Inspired by the comments, I stopped by B & H Super Store today, tried Sigma 70-200 2.8 DG lens. I was impressed by the quality of picture indoor. Sticker price is little hefty & heavy !!

Then I saw, Pentax DA series announcement. Pentax appears to be catching up on lens in his arena, slo..wly.

Not sure yet if I should jump in and spend on Sigma above. Any thoughts.

G. Hedge
02-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hello

As suggested, I browsed concert pictures thread.

Inspired by the comments, I stopped by B & H Super Store today, tried Sigma 70-200 2.8 DG lens. I was impressed by the quality of picture indoor. Sticker price is little hefty & heavy !!

Then I saw, Pentax DA series announcement. Pentax appears to be catching up on lens in his arena, slo..wly.

Not sure yet if I should jump in and spend on Sigma above. Any thoughts.

G. Hedge
If the price is right for you, then by all means. If you have your doubts, hold back and go for a cheap, used (but fast) MF zoom for as low as 1/5th of the price and practice on a ton of action in dim lighting. It takes some getting used to, but when you learn it, you don't usually need more than what you've got.

Oh man I'm rambling...gotta go to bed. Sorry if this didn't make any sense.
02-22-2007, 01:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian

That Sigma is a good range and speed for the stage I would have thought (depending upon, of course, where you are). I have just bought a second hand one, but haven't had a decent play yet, but from what I've seen and experienced so far it's pretty good.
02-22-2007, 01:24 AM   #15

Use the lens hood to lessen the possible damage from fellow parents happily flashing their cams right and left.

Especially if your kid is up there, by all means bring a tripod. No, really. People may not mind photographer with a tripod and they even may willingly give you room enough to get a good view. Besides, no-flash shots in difficult light do benfit from tripod, SR is not a replacement for rock steady tripod. If there's an event where you should risk looking like a fool with loaded backpack among other point'n'shooters then it's your kid performing on the stage.