Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX II HSM - (for Pentax) Great condition. FREE SHIPPING IN AUST.

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX II HSM - (for Pentax) Great condition with case

Asking Price
690 AUD

Item Location
Newcastle (Australia)

Item Description
I am selling the esteemed Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX (in Pentax K mount).
This lens is highly sought after because it is no longer available in Pentax mount, but boasts a few key advantages over the Pentax DA* equivalent, which is a very expensive lens anyway.

The advantages are:
1. Autofocus speed. The HSM is significantly faster than the SDM of the Pentax. Also there are a few reports of SDM dying but not many of HSM doing that.
2. Sharpness at the longer end. The Pentax drops off after about 115-120mm, and needs to be at f4.0 to stay sharp. The Sigma gets all the way to 150mm at f2.8 and stays sharper than the Pentax.
3. An extra 11% zoom range, although that goes hand in hand with the sharpness advantage (because the Sigma is also less stretched at 135mm - at f2.8 135mm, the Sigma would have it all over the Pentax).

For who knows what reason - they stopped making this and came out with a version in Sony/Canon/Nikon mounts only, with O.S. that is HEAPS bigger and heavier - so this one became a hot item.

FREE SHIPPING IN AUSTRALIA - Overseas message me your location for a shipping price.
Aussie buyers - bank deposit is preferred, Paypal will be an extra $15.

It comes with:
- The lens (of course)
- Hood, front cap, rear cap (all the original Sigma ones, no makeshift hoods/caps)
- Original padded carry bag (like a lot of Sigma's EX bags, it's quite nicely made - padded and with a strap)
- Kenko 67mm UV filter in good condition (in case - the case is for a clear protector, but it IS actually a UV filter, I couldn't find its actual case)

All of these things are pictured, along with several angles of the lens.

Although I'm comparing it with the DA* 50-135 a lot, and it just sounds like I'm criticising THAT lens - I'm not, it just shows HOW GOOD the Sigma is, that it can outclass a lens even of the Pentax DA* line up.
The 3 advantages over the DA* I listed, are all summed up nicely in this one photo I have. It's of a bird running along a railing - and even though it was running, I was able to use the HSM to nail the focus, and take a sharp, clear shot at 150mm f2.8. I have attached the full photo and then a 100% crop (around a 14x crop!) - neither have ANY post processing (shot in RAW on a K-5). They are not sharpened, no extra saturation... nothing. I, and I'm sure many others, can attest that this is a result you'll not see from the DA*, either in terms of AF speed or sharpness at f2.8.

Please PM me any questions or shipping price queries you may have, and enjoy.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Free in Australia, overseas varies

Shipping Services
Australia Post (registered with tracking)

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
Accepted if item is in inferior condition to that described.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by Quazimoto; 09-20-2013 at 08:43 PM.
03-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 34 (100%)
in what aperture the bird was shot at?
03-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wide open, f2.8 at 150mm.

Pretty sure we can now see EXIF data on photos posted here? Anyway, here it is for ease:
Pentax K-5
f2.8
1/640th sec
ISO 320
Exposure +0.3 compensation
150mm (225mm on 35mm equivalent)

Last edited by Quazimoto; 03-04-2013 at 04:03 PM.
03-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bump. I just realised that I had Lightroom set to limit file sizes more than it had to, so technically the photos (particularly the 100% crop) are not all the quality they could be. But you get the idea - these are basically the harshest conditions a lens like this will encounter - a shaded subject with the bright background (brings out PF/CA - but there is almost none here) and at full stretch, wide open. Every time I look at that photo I wonder why other lenses can't be like this!

03-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #5

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EXII HSM Lens

Hi very interested in your lens. Sent message yesterday but don't know if I did it right.

Last edited by Tom S.; 03-08-2013 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Marketplace Violation - Price Negotiation
03-08-2013, 03:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Good luck on the sale. Unfortunately I don't have spare cash for a magnificent lens at the moment, but if it doesn't sell, do you reckon you could loan it to me for a while??????

Regards