Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Left-eye shooting?

In another thread I talked returning my K-x because of my inability to see the VF data-line in bright sunlight. Lots of suggestions came in, but one came from another source who suggested left-eye shooting.

He says that allows a steadier hold, plus shades the VF better from extraneous light (particularly if you wear glasses as I do). I've always (automatically) used my right eye on the VF. Could it be this simple to solve my problem and get a K-x again?

All input welcomed,
Brian

01-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
In another thread I talked returning my K-x because of my inability to see the VF data-line in bright sunlight. Lots of suggestions came in, but one came from another source who suggested left-eye shooting.

He says that allows a steadier hold, plus shades the VF better from extraneous light (particularly if you wear glasses as I do). I've always (automatically) used my right eye on the VF. Could it be this simple to solve my problem and get a K-x again?

All input welcomed,
Brian
I have been a photographer for 50 years and have always shot using left eye and no I am not left-handed it has always seemed more natural to me. Good luck.
01-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I shoot with left eye (it's my dominant eye), and the only problem is that sometimes trying to make a quick shot LV turns on with nose .
01-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
I shoot with left eye (it's my dominant eye), and the only problem is that sometimes trying to make a quick shot LV turns on with nose .
I have the same problem - think it's my dominant nose.

To the OP, I've heard that the use of a supplementary V/F magnifier will help. Must try this myself someday!

01-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
fotaki, don't know that the VF magnifier will help. The data-line is large enough but not bright enough to see in daylight,
Brian
01-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It seems I get a better view into the viewfinder, especially the status line with my left eye so it should be worth a try.
01-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm right handed and use my left eye for the viewfinder. It just feels natural to me.

In sports I use my left or right hand depending on the sport... haha

01-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My right eye is dominant (and it's what I use in the viewfinder) but my left eye has better vision! I'm tempted to use my left eye for manual focus but it feels so weird.

I don't see why choosing a different eye would affect the amount of light that sneaks into the viewfinder though...
01-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd never even thought to use my left eye and I am right handed and right eye dominant as well. However, after reading this thread I gave it a try and was surprised that in a certain ways I preferred it. I may have to give this a try
01-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use my left eye. It allows me to hold the left arm nearly vertical for improved stability.
It forces the right hand from taking the weight of the camera, which help minimize camera movement when depressing the shutter.
01-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sewebstr, my thinking is that using the left eye, and the left hand to block some of the light, while leaving the right hand free for camera adjustment might help? Don't know, but I'm going to borrow a camera and try it out before plunking down more money. Buying, trying and returning is a pain in the butt,
Brian
01-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #12

Left eye user here. Seems more natural.
01-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paugie Quote
Left eye user here. Seems more natural.
Same here . With that, my right eye by the way can be closed by my right hand and since then my left eye has better vision in the VF.
01-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I use my left eye because my vision is a little better in it. The x1.3 magnifier will make the problem worse because it obscures the sides of what is visible in the VF, unless your eye is exactly in the middle. I find the data line too dim to see in bright sunlight on my K200D so I rarely use it, I use the top LCD instead.
01-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I use my left eye because my vision is a little better in it. The x1.3 magnifier will make the problem worse because it obscures the sides of what is visible in the VF, unless your eye is exactly in the middle. I find the data line too dim to see in bright sunlight on my K200D so I rarely use it, I use the top LCD instead.
Yeah, I just use the top LCD for everything, so probably I just don't notice whether or not I can easily read the status line in the viewfinder.