Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image Comparison Tool

Now that the K5 II and IIs are out and showing up on doorsteps, mailboxes and shopping bags (putting a dent in everyone's credit card here during the holidays), it is going to be natural to want to compare images side by side - both on the web and at home. There are really very few tools to make this task effective. However, there is one that I have found that does an excellent good job.
  • http://www.backroomwebdesign.com/experiments/compare.php
I think that it is pretty explanatory on how to use it. With your mouse, grab the little green bar on the line down the face of the image (or just click anywhere on the image) and pull it left or right, in order to compare image A and B which can be loaded up on the top of the page via URL and then be scaled and position overlay adjusted down below.

So now we should be able to compare all of these up coming K5 to K5 II and especially K5 IIs without going blind in the process.

After you cut and past URLs into the URL boxes up top, you then need to click on each of the left and right URLs in the next set of boxes to actually select the image and put them up on the image comparison display on their respective sides.

As a test, I used the images from Adam's thread here using these two images:
enjoy!!!

Last edited by interested_observer; 10-27-2012 at 06:08 AM.
11-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I just took a look at it, and it's a shame it doesn't let you drag it with you mouse. I can try to code up a fancier comparison tool later on, or look at other options that are already out there, as I'm sure there are plenty

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I just took a look at it, and it's a shame it doesn't let you drag it with you mouse. I can try to code up a fancier comparison tool later on, or look at other options that are already out there, as I'm sure there are plenty
Drag images into the tool for comparison or drag the vertical line for comparison? You can grab the vertical comparison line in the center (the green section of the vertical bar) via a left mouse button depress and drag the comparison bar left and right in order to compare different areas of the images..

It took me about an hour to find this tool, and I had a pretty good idea as to what to look for. That said, I may have been a bit too familiar with image exploitation and other folks may be describing this a bit differently than how I describe it.

I am anticipating that with the excellent reception that the IIs has received, that Pentax will probably produce a 2 body set going forward - one with and one without the AA filter (and possibly other similar approaches).

This tool approach would also be useful in comparing 2 images from similar lenses (especially with the scaling capabilities), i.e., 31 Ltd and the Sigma 30mm.

11-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ah, I get it- I thought you were supposed to drag the photo around inside its own frame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: