Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

G20 & G8 "spending"

Being a local, ie, 20 minute subway ride from my house, the G20 and G8 meetings are going to be an interesting experience for me.

I cannot think in the past of ever being so close to something this "big", except perhaps a F1 race in Vancouver some years ago.

The level of security preparation is ridiculous, and the citizenry uproar is, while expected, somewhat confusing.

What bothers me the most is that people are complaining that "the government is spending too much money on the G20 and G8 meetings"

I think the current figure is somewhere around 1.2 billion dollars of "tax payer money"

However, since the event is localized, i cant imagine much of this money going anywhere other than back into the city. Which begs the question.. why are people complaining?

Am i missing something? The government pumps 1 billion dollars into a city of 3 million and people are complaining? All that overtime for the cops, the special forces unit, the RCMP, all that will later be spent within the country. With 1 in 3 Canadians in astronomical debt, i cannot see these people holding on to this cash for very long.

All the marketing associated with this, people are getting jobs, they are getting paid, they pay off their debts, they dont stress out.

anyway

thoughts? Am I the only one that seems to think that these meetings are not going to be all that bad? Honestly the only thing i'm worried about are a bunch of 17 year olds running around screaming "abortions are womens rights" at the top of their lungs and throwing pizza boxes at mounted policemen..

06-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you understand the situation just fine. The people who are complaining are the ones that can't figure it out. The money goes right back to the working people and local businesses, just like you said.

It's what Reagan called "Trickle Down Economics"
06-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm never quite sure of the maths... let's see:

(our taxes) + (Govt borrowing) -> pay for city-wide fest -> money to local economy -> (our taxes)

I suppose the city-wide fest + money from all attendees + visitors + hangesrs on -> more money to local economy -> more (our taxes)
06-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Nesster, there will also be an enormous amount of money spent there that comes from out of the country.