Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #1

Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4, K7 and Lens corrections problem

Hello,

K7, apply automaticly lens corrections (if needed). It's a very good point.

But,

When i use PDCU4 to developped RAW files (PEF or DNG), 2 cases :

- none modification in PDCU4 = Lens correections are applied on the JPG (only when i extract JPG ; no when i send in the waiting list)

- Some corrections in PDCU4 (for ex : contrast+2 only ) in this case, lens corrections are systematicly lost. I have to apply corrections manualy.
Why ?

I think that lens corrections, send by the K7 box, have to be save in PDCU4 for final export, even if i do some other correction.

Your inpout is welcome.

Last edited by Labuzan; 07-20-2009 at 03:32 AM.
07-20-2009, 03:50 AM   #2

Original Poster
Every one to confirm ?

In fact in none case PDCU4 (PPL) is able to apply K7' lens corrections, except when I do an JPG extraction (file by file). (crazy !!)
Corrections are only applied on the computer'screen.

Impossible to create jpg ou Tif file with lens correction, through the waiting list.

If vous want to work on a RAW file (PEF or DNG), it's w/o lens corrections, except if you do it manualy.

Is something bad in my understanding of a professional workflow ?
12-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Forum Member

same problem here with my K-x, even with the 4.11 update.

first of all, what you can see in DCU4 is the jpeg preview, which is corrected in-camera. As soon as you touch any parameters in DCU the RAW file is displayed, and it's not-corrected.
More importantly, also the parameters related to corrections are lost!
This doesn't happen with other in-camera settings, as for example shadow correction: the correction is applied in DCU with the same settings set in-camera.
What I mean is that, if the camera is able to correct jpegs according to the lens (and other) data, the same correction should be available in DCU! Even knowing the focal length is really hard to correct a picture only by hand!

I'm really annoyed by this "bug"... today I tried contacting Pentax USA via chat and they appeared a bit "scared" telling me that I'd better contact them via phone... maybe it's something too technical?

Last edited by noou; 12-28-2009 at 10:19 AM.