Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom importing error-> ISSUE SOLVED! Thanks!

So today I took about 370 photos on a photoshoot.
I arrived home, and immediately started importing from my memory card into Lightroom, as usual.
As the import reached its end, the last 57 files suddenly made a window pop up and say 'lightroom files unsupported or damaged'.

These are all PEF taken with my K-7.

Why would it import the majority of the photos, but not the last 57?
These are very important files and I'm kinda freaking out.
(When putting the memory card back into the camera, I am able to see every single one of these files, zoom into them, read their info, etc... they seem to be fine!)

I appreciate any advice.

I am using Lightroom 2.4 and it shows to be up to date. I have tried manually importing them to the computer and then opening them on LR, but no change.
Also, kill me, but my copy of Photoshop CS3 is not legit and does not have RAW support (I use Lightroom 99% of the time). So they won't open there either.

edit: Something else I tried: I converted the RAW files to JPG *in camera*. Then, when accessing the memory card in the computer, the folders with the new JPGs were all illegible characters and I was not able to open them..

edit: DNG Converter: So it seems the DNG converter does not even let me select the files to convert them to DNG

FINAL EDIT

I used a USB card reader and it WORKED!
I had been using the built-in memory card reader inside my laptop... I never thought it could corrupt some files and not others...
I'm so relieved right now I want to cry.

THANKS everyone. In less than 3 hours from posting this thread everyone came forward and I was able to find a solution. I love the internet and the awesome Pentaxians using it ;_:

<3 Thanks again!!

It might be good to keep this thread in case anyone else has the same issue.

Last edited by IsabelleRibeiro; 07-30-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: issue SOLVED!
07-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #2

1 dose light room suport the k7 yet?
2 try moving the files to your hard drive manualy then import.
3 dose the software that came with your k7 work with the files?
07-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
1) Yes, all 200 something other files opened except for the last ones
2) done, no change
3) will install it right now and check, never used the software! thanks
07-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a compatability problem with Corel PSP X2 where it is not yet ready for K2 PEF files and it is having problems with DNG. I downloaded Adobe DNG COnverter, and discovered that if you have it batch process PEF files, it converts them into readable DNG files.

As it does this it writes a new file to the disk, so you will still have the PEF files in tact.

Youo might want to give this a try also, since it lets you process them in the normal work flow after

07-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
I can't figure out where to download the DNG converter... is it a free software?
07-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IsabelleRibeiro Quote
I can't figure out where to download the DNG converter... is it a free software?
try this link,

Adobe - Digital Negative (DNG)

and look on the right side for the option to download for either windows or Mac.

its a free download
07-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
ok so the Pentax software does not open the files. They show as broken, and when I try to open them it freezes the software.
I'm just so confused because I can still see the files when looking at them in camera... it's like they still exist but I can't touch them

07-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks Lowell I am downloading right now
07-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
So it seems the DNG converter does not even let me select the files to convert them to DNG
07-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

maybe your memory card is damaged.

Thant's all I can think of.

Did you try the other PEF files with the DNG converter to see that it worked.

Also, what type of card are yoou using and what type of reader.

YOu might have a problem with the card and reader if the card is an SD HC card. Not all SD card readers read SD HC cards
07-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It sounds to me like one of 2 things happened:
1. There's a problem on the SD card.
2. There's a problem with the camera's card reader/writer.

Can you copy the files from the card onto your hard drive using a USB reader?
07-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #12

Original Poster
Venturi
YES. I used a USB card reader... and it WORKED!
I had been using the built-in memory card reader inside my laptop... I never thought it could corrupt some files and not others...

THANKS everyone. In less than 3 hours from posting this thread everyone came forward and I was able to find a solution. I love the internet and the awesome Pentaxians using it ;_:

<3 Thanks again!!
07-31-2009, 02:16 AM   #13

Hi Isabelle,
It is not a LR or PEF/DNG problem.

- Did you have formatted SD Card with K7 before shooting ?
- Did you try importing with USB cord ?
- In Windows, and USB connection, try to copy/paste in a directory and test

Regards.
07-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IsabelleRibeiro Quote
Venturi
YES. I used a USB card reader... and it WORKED!

<3 Thanks again!!
Isabelle

Just a quick observation.

Many SD card readers installed in laptops and other devices may not be upgraedable to an SDHC card which, based on the number of shots you had in PEF, indicates.

that is why the USB reader worked. I know- trust me on this, my Dell PDA, my photo vault, and my HP all in 1 printer all have SD slots, and none of these are upgradable to use SDHC cards. They all report read errors.

If the one on your laptop is giving problems there may be a firmware upgrade or driver upgrade for it to read the SDHC card. Check on the manufacturer's website.
08-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Isabelle

Just a quick observation.

Many SD card readers installed in laptops and other devices may not be upgraedable to an SDHC card which, based on the number of shots you had in PEF, indicates.

that is why the USB reader worked. I know- trust me on this, my Dell PDA, my photo vault, and my HP all in 1 printer all have SD slots, and none of these are upgradable to use SDHC cards. They all report read errors.

If the one on your laptop is giving problems there may be a firmware upgrade or driver upgrade for it to read the SDHC card. Check on the manufacturer's website.
Lowell,

Thanks I will look into a driver upgrade. I just though it was odd because I've been using this memory card for a long time (and always reading it through the laptop reader), and this is the first time something like this happened.