Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mithrandir's Adobe Lightroom Presets 20090805

OVERVIEW

I have been promising some new Adobe Lightroom (LR) Presets and here are some designed to work with LR version 2.4.

#Mithrandir's One-Step Preset: -- Produces output automatically adjusted for Brightness, Contrast, Exposure, and Shadows and peaked for LR V2.4. This is a one step process which automatically gives good results without any extra processing required. Works best with RAW files where extra dynamic range is available, but gives good results with JPEG files as well.

#Mithrandir's Step-By-Step Presets: -- The One Step Preset (above) is totally automatic and because it does everything at once, it is also somewhat of a compromise. The concept behind the Step-By-Step Presets are to carefully adjust the Lightroom settings one-by-one. I have tried to keep the work process as simple as possible while allowing a more hands-on approach to Photo Development. An additional benefit is the ability to create a custom Preset for a photo session by using the Step-By-Step process on a representative shot (of a series) and then saving the settings as a custom preset.

DOWNLOADS AND INSTALLATION
Create a temporary directory where you can unzip either the One-Step Preset or the Step-By-Step Presets.

Start Lightroom 2.4 and go to the Develop Module.

TO INSTALL THE ONE-STEP PRESET

Create a New Preset Folder called #Mithrandir's One-Step.
Right click on the #Mithrandir's One-Step folder.
Left click on Import.
Select MOS01.01 CS-CE.lrtemplate from the folder where you unzipped it.
Press the import button.
The new preset is now available to use.

TO INSTALL THE STEP-BY-STEP PRESET

Create a New Preset Folder called #Mithrandir's Step-By-Step.
Right click on the #Mithrandir's Step-By-Step folder.
Left click on Import.
Select MSBS00.01 {Camera Calibration}.lrtemplate through the
MSBS06.11 (Saturation) Max.lrtemplate from the folder where you unzipped them.
Press the import button
The new presets are now available to use.

Last edited by mithrandir; 11-07-2009 at 01:45 PM.
08-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have LR, but I thank you for your generosity in the way you share your time and skills on this forum. I make a lot of use of your list of the better photography magazines; it's hard to get that sort of information where I live. Cheers, mate.
08-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #3

Thanks for that,heres a pack of most I've collected off the net.
Attached Files
File Type: rar 300+ presets.rar (237.7 KB, 1450 views)

Last edited by timk; 08-05-2009 at 01:12 AM.
08-05-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I've been using your other presets for LR and they have really speeded up my workflow.

08-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You are da man Mucho Gracias amigo ....
08-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you so much! I can't wait to get home and try them tonight.
08-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Can someone explain this more.

DOWNLOADS AND INSTALLATION
Create a temporary directory where you can unzip either the One-Step Preset or the Step-By-Step Presets.

How to create a temporary directory?...is it just creating a new folder on the desktop and then unzip the rar. file into that folder, or is there a something called a 'directory' where I need to send the unzipped rar. file?

Start Lightroom 2.4 and go to the Develop Module.

TO INSTALL THE ONE-STEP PRESET

Create a New Preset Folder called #Mithrandir's One-Step.
Right click on the #Mithrandir's One-Step folder.

Right clicking on the folder I had created doesn't reveal 'import' for me to left click...I am stuck...please help.
Left click on Import.
Select MOS01.01 CS-CE.lrtemplate from the folder where you unzipped it.
Press the import button.

08-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Many thanks for the step by step, I'm going to try it out when I get a chance. I find that I don't usually like the auto-* settings, since I do some wacky things with my exposures.
08-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the presets.
Just one question: I presume it will work with LR 2.2?
08-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
How to create a temporary directory?...is it just creating a new folder on the desktop and then unzip the rar. file into that folder, or is there a something called a 'directory' where I need to send the unzipped rar. file?

Don't know if you are running Windows, Mac, XP, Vista, Linux, etc. Dess not really matter though as I assume from your message you already have the files exapanded in a folder on your desktop. That is fine.

Now you need to open Lightroom. That is where you import them. You cannot right click on the folder and choose import. You need to be in Lightroom. This is where you follow

Start Lightroom 2.4 a
Click on the Develop Module.
Make sure the menu bar on the left hand side is showing. This is where all the Presets are , Lightroom comes with a bunch already.

If you can't see the Presets it may be hidden , there will be a little arrow head to show it. Move your mouse over to that arrow head. Also Make sure you are in the Develop Module. Lightroom may open in the Library Module (it will open in whatever module you were in when you closed it). You may have to review the help file or documentation if you can't get it to show.

You should see Lightroom Presets and User Presets.
Go to User Presets left click once to hightlight it
Then right click and choose New Folder call it #Mithrandir's One-Step.
Now Right click on the #Mithrandir's One-Step folder.
Left click choose Import.

In the Look In window you will now have to navigate to your desktop by clicking oin the little folder with the up arrow or navigatge by clicking the down arrow beside the area after the look in. You need to go to your Desktop as this is where you downloaded and unziped the files.

Once you find the folder on the desktop where you have already expanded the zip file now just follow the original instructions .

Select MOS01.01 CS-CE.lrtemplate
Press the import button.

Do the same for the other preset just follow the original instructions.

Hope that helps.
08-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dave, thanks for jumping in with the assist to PCARFAN. To SINUS007, yes it should work find with LR 2.2.
08-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Don't know if you are running Windows, Mac, XP, Vista, Linux, etc. Dess not really matter though as I assume from your message you already have the files exapanded in a folder on your desktop. That is fine.

Now you need to open Lightroom. That is where you import them. You cannot right click on the folder and choose import. You need to be in Lightroom. This is where you follow

Start Lightroom 2.4 a
Click on the Develop Module.
Make sure the menu bar on the left hand side is showing. This is where all the Presets are , Lightroom comes with a bunch already.

If you can't see the Presets it may be hidden , there will be a little arrow head to show it. Move your mouse over to that arrow head. Also Make sure you are in the Develop Module. Lightroom may open in the Library Module (it will open in whatever module you were in when you closed it). You may have to review the help file or documentation if you can't get it to show.

You should see Lightroom Presets and User Presets.
Go to User Presets left click once to hightlight it
Now Right click on the #Mithrandir's One-Step folder.
Left click choose Import.

In the Look In window you will now have to navigate to your desktop by clicking oin the little folder with the up arrow or navigatge by clicking the down arrow beside the area after the look in. You need to go to your Desktop as this is where you downloaded and unziped the files.

Once you find the folder on the desktop where you have already expanded the zip file now just follow the original instructions .

Select MOS01.01 CS-CE.lrtemplate
Press the import button.

Do the same for the other preset just follow the original instructions.

Hope that helps.
Dave, thank you so much...got it.

Also, For others in my situation, a bit more of an explanation so this step is included as well..when you follow Dave's instructions there is one minor step that may stump you and I have included that extra step in blue below.

....Here you have to choose create and then the #Mithrandir's One-Step folder appears as one of the presets, and then you proceed to....Now Right click on the #Mithrandir's One-Step folder.
Left click choose Import
08-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
PCARFAN,
Thanks for the clarification. When you've been around this stuff too long, you tend to assume (always a bad thing) that it is self explanatory (which it is not). I'll try to post better instructions in the future.
08-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
PCARFAN,
Thanks for the clarification. When you've been around this stuff too long, you tend to assume (always a bad thing) that it is self explanatory (which it is not). I'll try to post better instructions in the future.
You did a stellar job with it.....I am just so new to this kind of stuff, it takes a lot of hand holding, there is nothing you need to improve...thank you.
08-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

As always, your presets are very much appreciated! Thanks! Quick question: How does the one-step preset differ from your K10D-K20D CS-CB and CS-CE presets? Also, CB is for jpgs and CE is for raw, correct? Thanks again!