Photoshop Elements 6 325.00%
PaintShop Pro X2 866.67%
Other (please specify) 18.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
If you had the choice.......

.... of a software suite for US$99 or less, what would it be??

I am in the process of deciding between Paintshop Pro X2 and Photoshop Elements 6.

I have been trying PSP X2 for a few weeks and am learning it as i go. I realise that it is powerful, but some things that I take for granted in Photoshop ( I was using a borrowed version of CS2) were a pain to do in Paintshop Pro. Thing is, I wonder if elements 6 has the same sought of functionality of the full blown Photoshop.

I mainly use hese commands in Photoshop:

1) Curves
2) Levels
3) Replace colour
4) Unsharp mask
5) clone brush
6) Hue and saturation
7) Brightness and contrast

I use other commands, but these i use most.

In Paintshop Pro X2 I use these:

1) Smart Photo fix (but it seems to add artefacts)
2) Their version of replace colour ( but not as effective )
3) and some of their filters

The smart photo fix feature is quite nice and is a one stop photo fixer but I think it adds some artefacts

So i am back where i started and need your advice.

Any who, if you had the choice beteween these two or other stuff under $99, which would you choose and why?

09-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #2

Original Poster
no other takers??

So far it seems that PSP is far ahead.

Come on guys vote!! and tell me why you chose what you chose!

D
09-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #3

I would choose manually modifying the bits in my RAW files before I willingly chose an Adobe product. I think they've abused their defacto monopoly over imaging software.

Unless a job was going to allow me to expense the purchase, because they required it for some reason.

The only thing I ever wish I had in Paint Shop Pro X2 that Photoshop has is 16-bit histogram adjustment. I do think this feature would make a difference in the shots I take, but it's not so much $$$$ worth it unless I was going to get paid that much for the images.

-Chris
09-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
VAV

GIMP (free), Picture Window Pro ($89), Bibble Pro and ACDsee (each $129) seem to be the other lower cost options to consider (besides PSP 12 and Elements). I have no experience with anything other than Picasa and am evaluating my alternatives.

09-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by hinckc Quote
I would choose manually modifying the bits in my RAW files before I willingly chose an Adobe product. I think they've abused their defacto monopoly over imaging software.

Unless a job was going to allow me to expense the purchase, because they required it for some reason.

The only thing I ever wish I had in Paint Shop Pro X2 that Photoshop has is 16-bit histogram adjustment. I do think this feature would make a difference in the shots I take, but it's not so much $$$$ worth it unless I was going to get paid that much for the images.

-Chris

Chris, could you explain (I am an absolute new comer to digital processing) how the 16-bit histogram adjustment impacts your photos?

Thanks