Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Drops and Roses
Lens: Sigma 28-90mm + 31mm Extension Camera: Pentax - X 
Posted By: Praestigium, 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM

Hey guys, I opted to buy some extension tubes instead of a macro lens for the time being and so far this is my handy work:

Feel free to critic and give advice! Once again, many thanks to those who contributed to my last thread.
Views: 1,732
05-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the first and the last shots- they make for great abstract. How did you make that 'wintry' effect in the first one? A bit of PP? Or did the colors look like that straight out of the camera?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah the first shot is definitely my favourite. That winter feel was from some PP yes, I gave it a slightly bluish tint, because that was the affect I was after, however I'll post the originals once I get back from work.

Thanks for the comment!
05-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
Here's the original, you can get an idea of the actual colouring:

05-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
great job on the first one nailing the 'right' focus!
05-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JesseDavis Quote
great job on the first one nailing the 'right' focus!
Thanks! It was a bit of a challenge, passive body movements kept moving me in and out of focus, so I had to time my rocking back and forth to try and snag a good picture. Really should have just taken out of the tripod methinks >.<
05-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Macro (handheld) shooting is probably good sniper training, and vice versa. Sometimes I put the camera in burst and just fire away while holding my breath on the assumption that one of the shots will have the focus plane at a good depth.

Does using extension tubes give you better depth of field than you would expect from the set aperture? Or does it get even shallower? Is the effective aperture smaller than set as you move the lens away from the body?

Tubes are high on my shopping list you see.

Last edited by JesseDavis; 05-21-2010 at 06:22 AM.
05-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JesseDavis Quote
Macro (handheld) shooting is probably good sniper training, and vice versa. Sometimes I put the camera in burst and just fire away while holding my breath on the assumption that one of the shots will have the focus plane at a good depth.

Does using extension tubes give you better depth of field than you would expect from the set aperture? Or does it get even shallower? Is the effective aperture smaller than set as you move the lens away from the body?

Tubes are high on my shopping list you see.
It really depends on the brand you buy, I purchased the official Pentax brand and was informed that they were capable of much better quality pictures than the majority of cheap extension tubes which plagued ebay.

I really can't comment on the other types of extension tubes but I find the depth of field to be quite good, but the loss of light is definitely there albeit not drastic.

In my opinion, it won't hurt to buy them and experiment a bit, my set of 13/21/31 cost me $70AU and the results are better then what I expected, my one gripe would be having to move in quite close to my captures.