Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
landscapes of the Kerry coast
Lens: DA12-24 etc Camera: K20D Photo Location: Co. Kerry, Ireland ISO: 200 
Posted By: rparmar, 08-22-2010, 06:43 AM

County Kerry is known as "The Kingdom" and each time I visit I realise why. Sometimes I think that the best place to live would be a well-insulated house on the coast with a pub in easy reach -- and satellite internet! You could wake up each morning and walk out to see landscapes like these.

Skelligs from Coarha Beg Upper

Next time I will take a boat to the Skellig Islands, but on this visit it was enough to see them on the horizon. There are two small sea-craft visible in the frame, providing scale. Soon after this, the grey weather rolled in and visibility became very low. Then followed some serious rain.

(Shot with the Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro.)

Coarha Beg Upper

This is the same perspective as above, after switching from 105mm to 12mm. Sometimes it is enough for me to have these two lenses on hand, though it never hurts to pack the FA43.

(Shot with the DA 12-24mm.)

Valentia Island north shore 1

At this location lies the oldest discovered in situ fossils of vertebrate life on land, though few enough know this important location is in the west of Ireland. If you visit Valentia Island, it is sign-posted as "Tetrapod Tracks". A lovely location to sit, look and listen to the surf.

Valentia Island north shore 2

As above but with more context. The landscape in this picture is in the next peninsula north, Dingle. Though it looks near enough, it might take a couple of hours to drive from here, due to the long bays and inlets.

As always comments and critique are welcome.
Views: 1,931
08-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are super, Robin. I can't think of a thing that I'd want to change in those photos. A stunning landscape, and the lowering clouds and mist enhance its ruggedness, I think. Well done.
08-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
really love the first two shots robin... stark and foreboding vistas.. makes me feel very small... dave m
08-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the props.

FYI, I made these with exposure bracketing and manual layer adjustments in PP. Simple and quick way of getting something nice.