Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My very first time using a film camera
Lens: 50mm Camera: Pentax K1000 
Posted By: dorkatebluecandy, 08-29-2010, 06:49 PM

This is my first time using/owning a film camera. Here is a collection of photos that I took on my first go round

Attached Images

Views: 3,050
08-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good start with these images - for your very first SLR shots.
You nailed focus reasonably well with those first 2 portraits - especially #2 (that one is delightful )
The stadium photos would have lended better (IMO) as landscapes as you could fit more of the action in the frame and not have so much negative space that doesn't add to the image all that much.
All the best in your photographic journey.
08-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yay for another film user! What film did you use here?
I'm not sure if it's intended, but there appears to be some colour tint to the photos. If you were using a film like Kodak BW400CN (b&W film developed in colour negative chemicals), the colour tint can occur at scanning time if a monochrome or greyscale setting is not selected.
08-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Great shots! I particularly like the portrait of the girl and the first football shot (I really like the contrast of like and dark areas).

As goddo31 said, if you're scanning B&W film make sure you either scan as a monochrome or convert it to B&W in PP, otherwise there will be an odd colour caste to the image. With my scanner I've found that I end up with more dynamic range in the image if I scan at monochrome for some reason...

great work!

08-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
next stop: tHE zONE sYSTEM
08-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank You all!

Thank you all for your feedback!
In reply to Ash, Thank you so much for the thoughts.
I will definitely keep those in mind.

Also, to goddo31 and nickthetasmaniac,
I believe I was using Kodak BW400CN; however, I didn't scan the photos myself.
I went to a Walgreen's nearby and paid to get them developed and transferred to a CD. The color tint was not on purpose, I guess it was the way they scanned it at Walgreen's.
08-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
Help

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
next stop: tHE zONE sYSTEM

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

08-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very nice effort, Carrie, you have talent!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The stadium photos would have lended better (IMO) as landscapes as you could fit more of the action in the frame and not have so much negative space that doesn't add to the image all that much.
I think the portrait orientation adds to the image and I like the negative space. I think a landscape orientation would have resulted in a more conventional / boring shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by dorkatebluecandy Quote
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
He refers to the Zone System described by Ansel Adams. It is a method of getting the exposure right. Your first image looks a bit underexposed but the others look great.
08-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank You so much Class A. I really appreciate your help.
08-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The zone system is a method in black and white film photography for using exposure and development [the time the film stays in the developing fluid] to adjust the tonal range of the negative. The idea is to get detail in the strongest highlights as well as the darkest shadows, while also producing a negative with as many stops of density as possible. A simplified system is: Expose for the shadows, develop for highlights.

I don't know if Walgreen is capable of adjusting development times, but there should be a photo lab in any middle size city that can. In any event, have fun.

B&W film in a K1000 is a classic way to learn photography, by the way.
08-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi D, Fun isnt it?
wonder if bleacher stand "vibration" caused a little softness in your longer shots.
nice portraits
08-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #12

Original Poster
You all are wonderful!

Thank you so much Civiletti.
It is really nice to get all this great feed back from you all.
I will definitely check around the area and see what labs I can find.

Bill, I definitely think that had something to do with the softness.
It was very difficult to get a good shot due to people and movement.
08-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
As goddo31 said, if you're scanning B&W film make sure you either scan as a monochrome or convert it to B&W in PP, otherwise there will be an odd colour caste to the image. With my scanner I've found that I end up with more dynamic range in the image if I scan at monochrome for some reason...

great work!
Just to reiterate what Nick said, to remove the tint you can load the images in your photo processing software and desaturate the colour or convery to greyscale.
Getting a slight tint with scans on this film is quite common
08-31-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The old rule was that with good technique, you could get sharp images at a shutter speed that is the reciprocal of the lens focal length. So, at 250mm, you should shoot at 1/250" or faster, and at 28mm, you should shoot at 1/30" or better. Image stabilization gives about 2 stops more cushion, so 1/8" with a 28mm lens is not unreasonable. Subject movement is another matter, though.
09-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #15
Inactive Account

LOVE the first stadium shot. love the contrast and the way you filled your frame. i particularily love the the dark sky and the stadium light. great work! yaaay for more film users!