Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First attempt at HDR
Posted By: Peter Zack, 09-17-2007, 10:32 AM

I downloaded a trial version of an HDR program
Dynamic Photo HDR, high dynamic range imaging software with Anti-Ghosting
These are the first 3 attempts. C&C would be welcome and appreciated. I've been looking for a way to recover underexposed and darker areas when the exposure is really complex. Usually it's the blown highlights or sky that suffers. The final 2 pictures are of a path at the local park. This one is a bit of a cheat. The leaves move in the wind too much and caused blur. So I picked one of the shots taken. Then dropped the brightness about .75 Ev in the computer and raised it up 1.5 Ev and then layered the 3 together. What do you think of the result?
The waterfall shots were separate exposures at about +1.5 and -1 Ev. Biggest issue I see so far is movement in the image where it won't overlap the layers as well and artifacts in dynamic areas.

the very last pic is one of the originals for the waterfall shot. I wanted the shots to look natural but recover the dark areas and moderate the highlights.

Again C&C welcome

Attached Images

Last edited by Peter Zack; 09-17-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Views: 2,822
09-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my $0.02

They look good Peter. The first one the rock without water on it looks out of place I think. I also think a bit of detail was lost in the banks. I love they way the green came out from underneath the water. The second shot I like the 'viens' comming from the falls. I would have like to seen both of those phots at a higher shutter speed (water in the second on a bit too smooth I think) - but the slow water effect worked well (just I prefer faster water motion - purley subjective!)

Both park shots are very rich in detail and color, Love them both. . I think the last one is your best water shot. Well done
09-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #3

great stuff I love #2 it is awesome rp
09-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Petthefish.

Dave,
I never noticed the rock in that shot. It looks like it's almost floating. The tough thing about the shot with the streaks (viens) in the water is a faster shutter speed looses that effect. It's actually small water beads rolling across the surface of the flat pond. Thanks for the comments.

09-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice find on the software Peter! I really like the second one! Also a very interesting technique you've used to get the EV's you wanted. I've got to try that.
09-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

These are all good! You have a very nice color range, and the lighting seems perfect in all of them. What you don't have is the over-saturation that is common with HDR. Sometimes the extreme saturation looks good for an artsy type of look, but with nature photos, the natural look is much better.
09-18-2007, 01:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The first one is a great HDR image. Beautiful tone and colour.

09-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all. It's fun software to try on some images.
10-29-2007, 10:20 AM   #9

Do you know any trick, or DO's and Don'ts for HDR.
Almost all of my tries resulted in over-saturation and I got surrealistic images.
10-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree with Daacon, the 1st pic has rocks near the bottom of the waterfall that look out of place. Looks like they were added in via photoshop. but other than that. those pics are amazing. Keep up the good work. I've been wanting to try this myself.
10-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great work. I like #'s 1 and 2.
« Welder | Reeds »