Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Post your favourite chees Photos
Lens: SMCM 28 f2.8 Camera: K10D Photo Location: London ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: eddie1960, 12-30-2010, 08:24 AM

after Mike closed the post is cheating thread as it had deteriorated into a cheese discussion, i decided we needed a cheese thread (as he suggested
So here you go Post away with any great cheese photo's you have
or any good cheese suggestions for that matter MMMM cheeese

this is at Neal's Yard Dairy in Borough Market in London from my trip in October one of the finest cheese shops I've ever encountered

and Sparkenhoe is one damn fine cheese as well (iso 320 though not 400)

Views: 4,583
12-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
after Mike closed the post is cheating thread as it had deteriorated into a cheese discussion, i decided we needed a cheese thread (as he suggested
So here you go Post away with any great cheese photo's you have
or any good cheese suggestions for that matter MMMM cheeese

this is at Neal's Yard Dairy in Borough Market in London from my trip in October one of the finest cheese shops I've ever encountered

and Sparkenhoe is one damn fine cheese as well (iso 320 though not 400)

Wow,23.65 Pounds Sterling/Kg?.I thought Canada was expensive,Wonder how much a top Stilton would be.
12-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
Wow,23.65 Pounds Sterling/Kg?.I thought Canada was expensive,Wonder how much a top Stilton would be.
It could be more, I can't remember. British pricing bears no reality to the dollar as they earn in pounds not dollars, so for the most part things are more expensive for us going over, not always for the locals where it is proportional to earnings to some degree. this might give you an idea though the Crosier Blue is over 35

12-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Glad someone finally mentioned Stilton!

12-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
too many cheeses to just focus on the well known ones (Stilton is very nice though, particularly works well with a good Amarone MMM)
12-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As well as posting can we talk about our favorite cheeses also?

Best cheese: King Island Roaring 40's blue
Worst Cheese: Ski Queen Gjetost....only time I have ever spit cheese out of my mouth!
...not my photo but I had to post.
12-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It could be more, I can't remember. British pricing bears no reality to the dollar as they earn in pounds not dollars, so for the most part things are more expensive for us going over, not always for the locals where it is proportional to earnings to some degree.
I don't think that's actually right though Eddie. North America wins both ways - generally average salaries are higher and average prices (for almost anything) are much lower.

12-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can only speak recently from a London experience, and salaries there tend to be high - christ you couldn't even live there otherwise rents are stratospheric, in the area i rented in the going rate for apartments was 800-1200 pounds a week I just about fell over. In general the reason october was my first trip since 77 to london is it is a damn expensive country and the pound vs the canadian dollar made it worse. Form talking with people i know there who do jobs i know salaries here for they are actually being paid more than we are though not a straight pound to dollars thing. where a job here is paying in the 45-50 thousand canadian range, people i know in london are doing similar jobs for around 40000 pounds at the currently very low exchange rate that is still about 66000 dollars.
the cheese above is also quite pricey here the Sparkenhoe goes for about $32 a kilo when i buy it for the restaurant in the hotel I am a purchaser for.

That being said the cost of living is higher there (aside from Beer which is still cheaper than here despite the cries of how pricey it has become from my friends i still pay about 40% more for a comparable pint at the pub ;-(
12-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
As well as posting can we talk about our favorite cheeses also?

Best cheese: King Island Roaring 40's blue
Worst Cheese: Ski Queen Gjetost....only time I have ever spit cheese out of my mouth!
...not my photo but I had to post.
I agree roaring 40's is a wonderful piece of cheese

and that second cheese looks wrong on so many levels
12-30-2010, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Cheese, Gromit!

Best gallery/thread idea I've seen in a while!
Except taking pictures of cheeses would be a full time job here

Best: as long as it's creamy and/or stinky - munster, epoisse, reblochon, corsica cheese, gorgonzola, plain old camembert, etc..
Worst: any manufactured / industrial / plastic / supermarket "cheese"

In fact, there's too many to list in both categories... and i'm supposed to start my post Xmas diet now...
12-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eljaco Quote

Best gallery/thread idea I've seen in a while!
Except taking pictures of cheeses would be a full time job here

Best: as long as it's creamy and/or stinky - munster, epoisse, reblochon, corsica cheese, gorgonzola, plain old camembert, etc..
Worst: any manufactured / industrial / plastic / supermarket "cheese"

In fact, there's too many to list in both categories... and i'm supposed to start my post Xmas diet now...
Oh my you live in Paris. There is no such thing as a bad cheese store there
Service though.... I've been insulted by a clerk who though i didn't understand French lol. I was in an amazing shop near the rodin on the Sept 11th and we're trying to decide when a regular ( a well dressed older gentleman with 2 quite beautiful young women on his arm) came in, she dropped me like a hot potato to serve him, and when he protested she should finish with us first she said oh they are just amateurs monsieur
Paris is probably my favourite city I love it there
and the cheeses oh my

Which Cheese to Buy HMMM (from the bastille market)

12-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
Forum Member

i know we have a bad rep when welcoming tourists here... and I guess we have our share of snobs - the richer you look, the faster you might be served in certain places :s

As for not having a bad cheese store - some are definetely better than others. All good ones are expensive - cheese is expensive anyway (which is as it should, or else I'll be much fatter ). I'll try and grab some pics, though my friend may think I'm gone crazy...
12-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eljaco Quote
i know we have a bad rep when welcoming tourists here... and I guess we have our share of snobs - the richer you look, the faster you might be served in certain places :s

As for not having a bad cheese store - some are definetely better than others. All good ones are expensive - cheese is expensive anyway (which is as it should, or else I'll be much fatter ). I'll try and grab some pics, though my friend may think I'm gone crazy...
the french markets are a photographers dream, lots of interesting people, great food displays....but it may make you look like a tourist. Personally i've rarely had a rude experience inParis beyond the aforementioned, and yes it was a very expensive cheese store, but one of the best i've ever been in as well. Now days i stay further afield in th 11th near marche aligre a great neighbourhood
12-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Parmagiano Reggiano

Lordy, I do hope I spelled the queen of cheeses correctly. Any cheese that goes on a noodle is number one in my book.

Last edited by slowpez; 01-08-2011 at 11:38 AM.
12-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
close Parmigiano Reggiano according to the official Italian Page ( I would have spelled it your way seeing as it originates in Parma i believe but )

Parmigiano Reggiano - Parmesan Cheese