Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
West Chester U - (American) Football w/Tamron 300/2.8
Posted By: carpents, 10-15-2007, 04:48 PM

I haven't taken my (manual focus) Tamron 300/2.8 out in a while, so I decided to bring it to the West Chester University football game against Kutztown. The monopod also got a rare outing, and boy was it easy to use this setup. I don't normally use the monopod because I'm moving around a lot, but for this scenario where I was sitting in one place the whole time the monopod was priceless.
All of these are shot in manual mode on my Pentax K10D, since the light didn't change much I kept it pretty much constant throughout the night. All shots are at f/2.8. Oh yeah, SR was not on for the shots.
(Larger sizes and some EXIF available by clicking on the images.)

Our quarterback had a pretty good night.

Their quarterback...not so much.

I was able to chase the action better than I thought. I think having the monopod allowed me to concentrate on focusing. Here is a punt return in progress.

In all, most of the photos were sharply in focus and purple fringing/chromatic aberrations were nicely controlled. It was a nice cold, clear night and best of all the home team won. I'll probably go to more games since it was so much fun to shoot this one.

--Sean
Views: 2,456
10-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nice ones, Sean -

my brother attended Kutztown U. years back - it really is a small world. I like #1 best, QB scanning the secondary, and a lineman giving him time. (they never get any credit though, except when the QB is sacked!)
10-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sean-
Great shots! I have never felt comfortable with the monopod - though it is nice to throw the camera attached to it over your shoulder while looking for shots Number two is great!
10-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots , Sean . Is manual focus hard to do on sport ?? Stupid question ,I know , but I must ask :-) .

10-16-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
nice ones, Sean -

my brother attended Kutztown U. years back - it really is a small world. I like #1 best, QB scanning the secondary, and a lineman giving him time. (they never get any credit though, except when the QB is sacked!)
Thanks! Yes, it is a small world indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Sean-
Great shots! I have never felt comfortable with the monopod - though it is nice to throw the camera attached to it over your shoulder while looking for shots Number two is great!
Me neither. The monopod worked great here though!

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Great shots , Sean . Is manual focus hard to do on sport ?? Stupid question ,I know , but I must ask :-) .
Yes! I did a lot of pre-focusing and predicting that worked well. Focusing is more difficult at these wide apertures (because of our stupid focus screens) so I was careful to 'reset' my focus before each play.
I think the accurate focus and overall image quality really were better than I expected.
10-16-2007, 04:57 AM   #6
Inactive Account

So who won? Great shots! That Tamron sure is a beast of a lens