Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
the Royal Gorge, Colorado
Camera: K-x Photo Location: near Canon City, CO 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 03-03-2011, 10:57 PM

The Royal Gorge Bridge is located near Caņon City, Colorado, The bridge deck hangs 955 feet above the Arkansas River and is the highest bridge in America the 2nd highest in the world. It is a suspension bridge with a main span of 938 feet (286 m). The bridge is 1,260 feet (384 m) long and 18 feet (5.5 m) wide and is suspended from towers that are 150 feet (46 m) high. We took the Royal Gorge RR about 20 miles to view the bridge from the bottom of the canyon and the mini-RR out of Buckskin Joe's to view the bridge from the edge. In the last photo you can see the RR tracks we rode on at the bottom of the canyon, it gives you an idea of the depth.

Attached Images

Views: 4,125
03-04-2011, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Having been there twice in my life I know this place. Beautiful area around the gorge itself. I have never taken the train ride out of Canon city. I did take the tram to the bottom though.
Unfortunatly for me the last time I was there my youngest was only a year old and we forgot his stroller. I carried him all over that day. Almost killed me but I managed.
Thanks for posting.
03-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice shots bob..... i like to view the heights/depths in pics... have vertigo and fear of heights.... not a terribly brave soul am i.... dave m
03-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Brings back memories, Bob. The last time I was at the Royal Gorge was in the '80's - quite a place. However, my most vivid memory was driving the Phantom Canyon Road (which begins somewhere near the Gorge) to Cripple Creek - a wild and hairy drive, for sure, with dropoffs and narrow sections that would curl your hair. May be a super highway now, for all I know.

Jer

03-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice - love that second shot - now that's a suspension bridge.
03-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Quite a place and well-captured Bob.
03-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I spent a lot of time in CO and always loved the Royal Gorge. Nice shots from great POVs.

And Phantom Canyon Rd is still there Jer... at least according to a friend of mine. Little chance (or reason) for them to turn it into a highway.. LOL However it's nowhere near as hairy as Gold Camp Rd between Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek. Now those are dropoffs.

Mike

03-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Brings back memories, Bob. The last time I was at the Royal Gorge was in the '80's - quite a place. However, my most vivid memory was driving the Phantom Canyon Road (which begins somewhere near the Gorge) to Cripple Creek - a wild and hairy drive, for sure, with drop offs and narrow sections that would curl your hair. May be a super highway now, for all I know.

Jer
Jer, our daughter lives near Cripple Creek/Victor area and we took the road up last year and other than no guards, windy and very rocky and drop offs in places, it was a breeze. Part of the road was washed out due to a recent storm which even made it worse. My wife does not like that road.
03-05-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I spent a lot of time in CO and always loved the Royal Gorge. Nice shots from great POVs.

And Phantom Canyon Rd is still there Jer... at least according to a friend of mine. Little chance (or reason) for them to turn it into a highway.. LOL However it's nowhere near as hairy as Gold Camp Rd between Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek. Now those are dropoffs.

Mike
thanks Mike for taking a look, Gold Camp Road can be very dangerous, especially with oncoming traffic on a one way road. Bob
03-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Was in the area this week Bob. Great shots. JIM

PS: was about 65F in Denver this week.
03-05-2011, 02:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Was in the area this week Bob. Great shots. JIM

PS: was about 65F in Denver this week.
If spring hasn't arrived in BC, go to where spring has arrived. thanks for looking Bob