Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Let my 4 year-old loose with a K200D and FA43
Lens: 18-135 WR Camera: K-5 Photo Location: National Zoo (DC) ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: dgaies, 04-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Views: 10,456
04-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Starting him off with that lens lust a little early, aren't we?
04-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will you adopt me?
04-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Starting him off with that lens lust a little early, aren't we?
Yeah, it wouldn't have been my first choice to start him with, but the DA40 I bought for him to use won't be here until tomorrow

I really just slapped the 43 on there because it was small and figured it would be the easiest for him to use. Not an ideal zoo lens, but a zoom was out since he can't hold the camera with one hand (and zoom with the other) and I didn't think the DA*300 was great idea at this point

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Will you adopt me?
I'll have to check with the wife

A few more of him "in action"

04-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the last 'chimping' shot, that's a keeper!
04-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Inactive Account

He has a hell of a grip on that camera. A Harness type strap arrangement might not be a bad idea though. I can just visualize some jerk relieving him of his toy (yes, it's sad but my mind goes there)..

What do HIS pictures look like?

04-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really like the last 'chimping' shot, that's a keeper!
Yeah, he was doing that quite a bit. Almost got run over a couple times as it was pretty crowded at the zoo and he was very focused when taking and reviewing pictures

He has a hell of a grip on that camera. A Harness type strap arrangement might not be a bad idea though. I can just visualize some jerk relieving him of his toy (yes, it's sad but my mind goes there)..

What do HIS pictures look like?
Yeah, to be honest I didn't consider that as a potential issue. I still think the chances of him accidentally dropping it are far higher than someone swiping it, but it's a good point and (sadly) something to consider.

Good question about what his shots looks like. I just glanced through them on the rear LCD after we left. I think his percentage in focus was a bit low, but I'll go take a look and see if there are any 'keepers". I'll post them in a few

04-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Noah's shots

Here are a few of Noah's shots. He actually only took 30 shots (I figured he'd be more trigger happy). Looks like I got in his way during his attempt at some street photography in the last shot

04-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He has an eye for the girls already
04-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perhaps

Then again, there was only one girl shot out of about thirty total shots, so I might be safe for a little while
04-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great call there Crew! I reckon there's only 30 shots left on the card due to some selective editing....are you sure that shot is of him chimping? I think he might be destroying the evidence. Nice to see one slipped through the edit

Either way, Noah's certainly got the ingredients for a street photographer. No hang-ups just compose and SNAP!

I like his raffia elephant shot with the calf a lot! Great composition. Your boy's got talent already Dan!!! You just keep him stocked up on lenses, ya hear!
04-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Great call there Crew! I reckon there's only 30 shots left on the card due to some selective editing....are you sure that shot is of him chimping? I think he might be destroying the evidence. Nice to see one slipped through the edit
Maybe he swapped the cards out when I wasn't looking I may have to do an SD card head-count later tonight

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Either way, Noah's certainly got the ingredients for a street photographer. No hang-ups just compose and SNAP!

I like his raffia elephant shot with the calf a lot! Great composition. Your boy's got talent already Dan!!! You just keep him stocked up on lenses, ya hear!
Well, I think I have enough lenses for the both of us Now once Silas get a couple years older I might be need a few more lenses for the three of us (kidding)
04-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I think he got what he wanted in that last shot. A second later, he would have missed it.

The truly sad part about his photos is that they are just as good as many I see here on the forums (including some of mine ).. So the question becomes, what are WE all doing Wrong that a 4 year old who couldn't care less about the technology, is getting better photos (camera and lens aside)?

04-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think he got what he wanted in that last shot. A second later, he would have missed it.

The truly sad part about his photos is that they are just as good as many I see here on the forums (including some of mine ).. So the question becomes, what are WE all doing Wrong that a 4 year old who couldn't care less about the technology, is getting better photos (camera and lens aside)?

Well said Jeff! Mate I reckon it's because the 4 year old is pouring every ounce of his attention through that viewfinder. Us old folks would be too concerned with not only the composition and exposure, but also entertaining the other half of our minds while squaring things up in the viewfinder, reminding us to fix that kettle and clean the garage.....not to say anything about our also wondering how much better this would all look if I only had an FA Ltd clipped out front instead! Let's not forget one thing, Noah's shooting with a far-too-long-in-the-tooth K200D!!! (NB: nothing against the K200D just that many of us has probably upgraded twice since then for various reasons!). So we can't say it's because dad slipped him the K5 and that 'lil beauty just takes its own photos No excuses here!

You're onto something Jeff. Dan, I think we need some regular instalments from Noah. He can re-teach us a thing or two....that's for sure!!!
04-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Well, keep in mind those were the best 6 shots from the 30 he took. Most of the others were either out of focus or suffered from some pretty severe blur (which wasn't helped by the fact that he didn't always stop walking when he was shooting ). That said, this was his first time out and I'm sure we can get his hit rate up a bit by the end of the summer.