Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Macro Shots
Lens: Lentar 135mm f 2.8 M42 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Louisiana 
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 06-25-2011, 07:42 AM

Been tinkering with some extension tubes recently, I've made a few comments and decided to post a few shots and some decent info.

I got 3 sets of extension tubes in online auctions, along with the Lentar 135, two 2x tele-convertors (Vemar and Vivitar), a couple other small items and price was very good. Total less than $50 for all of it.

One set of extension tubes is a Vivitar AET-1, total length 58mm.
One set is Soligor, missing one tube I think, the 2 I have are 42mm total.
Third set is no name, just marked 1,2,3 and 4, total 47mm.

Put all 3 together and it's 147mm of extension tubes. If the wind ever stops, I plan to try them all at once...probably turn my K-x into a microscope...

This lizard was taken with the full no name set, Lentar 135mm f2.8 screw mount lens, Vivitar flash at 1/4 power. The black patch behind the eye and vivid coloration indicates he was just in a fight with another lizard. It had been a couple of minutes, the ridge down his back that develops was gone, and I didn't see the other lizard anywhere.

Click image to view larger size.

Here's a tighter crop, 1600x1200, for a close up of just his head.

This robber fly was taken with the same Lentar 135mm, and the Vivitar extension tube set. Also posted in POTW.

Grasshopper trying to look inconspicuous, also posted in the Wildlife thread. Taken a week or aso ago, Vivitar extensions again.

I also have a few jumping spider shots, and some tiny flowers, the spiders have not been uploaded, the flowers are in the Tiny Flowers thread already.

Hope you enjoy these.
Views: 1,841
06-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nicely done, sharp crisp focus showing plenty of detail and the colour and lighting are great.
06-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks a bunch, glad you enjoyed them.
06-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wonderful detail, very crisp shots. Being from LA, you should have a lot of insects and who knows what that live in the bayous. thanks for posting. Bob

06-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very sharp...great work...
06-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
thanks for nothing. adding to my lens must buy list. jeez. now off to visit the tiny flowrs thread. : )
06-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Wonderful shots Pete. TFS

Seeing this and reading what you used, reminded me I need to get my homemade macro lens setup finished.

06-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The fly is very scary! It's very hairy. I also like the lizard shot, very sharp.
06-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot everyone, I just started using extension tubes, quite a switch from the binocular lens setup, and I think I've just about got the hang of it. Still like the binocular lens rig too though.

QuoteQuote:
thanks for nothing. adding to my lens must buy list. jeez. now off to visit the tiny flowrs thread. : )[
No problem, glad to help.
06-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Macro Shots

Those photos were great. So detailed, and that hairy fly!!! What type of lens adapter did you buy. I assume the lens was a screw mount. I would like more info on your macro setup. Some lens adapters say for 42 screw mount. Others are listed as T mount. Just wanted to know what you used.
06-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice work Pete, didn't know you were so adept at macros too!
06-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ramseybuckeye - Guess you haven't been looking, I've posted a lot of pictures taken with my binocular lens setup, these are some of the first with extension tubes. I've posted 2 or 3 until now. I can't touch some of the shots I've seen, especially Yeatzee's jumping spiders, but I try to go for good detail and sharp focus. I think I'm getting the hang of it...Thanks a lot for the compliments.

Wanda - Thanks, I'm really glad you like these shots, I have more coming later on soon as my back gets back into decent shape. Also, I'm going to post my response to your PM here, so if anyone else is looking for info it will be here and maybe someone else can benefit from it too.

****PM Copied here****

Someone sent me a PM asking about the Macro setup, here is my response in case it will be beneficial to someone else..Copied and pasted from my PM -

Lentar 135mm f2.8 with M42 screw mount.

Vivitar AET-1 extension tube set.

K-x camera

Vivitar 285HV Zoom Thyristor flash

That's the setup I use.

Extension tubes shouldn't matter as far as brand, they are basically a hollow tube to extend the lens out. You could literally do the same with a cardboard tube if it had lens mounts.

Lens shouldn't be critical, as long as it's a good one. I've seen great macro shots by other people using Tamron, Pentax, Sigma and other less known lens brands. I got the Lentar because I also have a 90-230 mm Lentar M42 that is an excellent lens, so I took a chance on the 135. Guess I got lucky...it's a good one.

Got all of it in online auctions.

M 42 and T Mount are different screw mounts. M42 is 42mm x 1 threads, T Mount is 42mm x .75, finer threads. They don't interchange, and T Mount has to place the lens flange about 5/16" in front of the camera body, due to the focal plane of the cameras they were designed for. M42 sits flush against the camera body. Adapters also available in online auctions, try searching ebay and Amazon dot com. Most work with any Pentax camera, with the right adapter either of yours will do the trick.

I shoot mostly hand held, but sometimes set up a tripod, depending on subject. Jumping spiders and grasshoppers don't like to sit still while you set up a tripod, so I usually shoot those hand held, flowers don't move much so a tripod is sometimes useful. Anything capable of image magnification also has the annoying habit of also magnifying camera movement, so a tripod helps in that respect too.

I also shoot with a flash usually so I can go to the smallest aperture possible, depth of field is minimal, so f16 or f22 is a good idea if you have enough light. That often means flash. The Lentar only goes to f16, so most of my macro shots with it are done at f16 and 1/180 shutter speed, the fastest the flash will operate. Built in flash works, but not as well and does not have adjustable power levels so I use the Vivitar.

That's all I can think of right now.

****Edited for spelling and one slight correction.****

I also copied this into the Tiny Flowers thread yesterday, not realizing it was the wrong thread...

I gotta go, my back is hurting...this really sucks...pulled a muscle a few days ago and it's NOT fun...