Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax SMC-F 1.7x AF Adapter thread.
Lens: SMC-F 1.7x AF Camera: K20D Photo Location: Whitney On, Canada ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: normhead, 11-22-2011, 12:59 PM

I don't know if there is another thread for this adapter but, having recently acquired one from a forum member there might be some interest in a thread on it.

For those of you who grew up with auto focus, it might take a bit of getting used to. For myself, I fell right back into manual focus and shoot, most of my life with a camera has involved manual focus and shoot, so it was a breeze.

You have to get used to the depth of field. If you use it on a DA* 60-250 like I do, I'm guessing F11 is the new F4. But any time you go to a long focal length you'll notice depth of field issues. SO it's not just this lens. It's just a bit of a surprise when you use your same old lens but it has different characteristics.

On my f:4 lens, the widest setting is f:6.7, so you really need a bit of light.

SO far, since I got this the weather has been either dull, or other lenses have been on the camera.

But I do have a few preliminary shots. I'm hoping I'll get enough light at some point to stop in down a bit, plus have a fast enough shutter speed to eliminate motion blur from my nervous little subjects. But I should post a few pics, just to get things started.

I'd be interested in hearing of others experiences using this adapter, and how they cope with it's characteristics.

Last edited by normhead; 11-22-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Views: 3,253
11-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have never used this TC, but it sure looks like it's working great for you! That Chipmunk sure does appreciate your seed "donations!"
2nd Bluejay especially nice & sharp!

(PS - looks like a little dust on your sensor - look to the right of the beak on Jay #1)
11-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I so often change lenses in windy conditions, dust on the sensor is a constant problem. These images took every trick I know to get them to look sharp. I'm hoping images taken in direct sunlight will be a little snappier, stay tuned.

That little guy has seriously chubby cheeks. He loves the "feed the birds" thing.
11-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is more like what I was looking for. I had made a preset PP process just for these birds. On this one I had to turn off the sharpening. In direct sunlight he was sharp enough right off the camera. There were a few concerns. Shooting at f11 to make the most of depth of field, I was at 1/60.. many bird shots ruined because the little guys move so much an 1/60 isn't enough to freeze them. The fast little guys, the Chickadees and the Nuthatches, I have no decent pictures of yet. I'm going to have to go to burst mode and possibly catch in focus. But as they are smaller I should be able to go to f-8 and get a decent motion shutter speed. OK, enough playing around for one day.

11-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 1.7x TC is one of my most used TC's next to the Vivitar Macro 2x.

And like you I too found the light issue to be a bit of a chore to work with. However that all went away when I picked-up a K-5 and found that the live-view contrast focusing was practically impervious to low light which breathed new life into my telephoto TC experience. At which point, I found focusing with pretty much any lens a breeze. However this did nothing for the relatively slow speed accompanied with such setups but it helped solve a great deal of the issues associated with it.

Having said that, the 1.7x is the best TC I've ever used. Though I don't think its as good optically as the infamous Pentax 1.4 and 2x TC's that only fit a handful of lenses. But it does seem better than any other rear mount TC I've owned including the 1.4x Tamron.

PS. love those bird shots btw.
11-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there is already a thread running in the Lens Sample Photo Archive forum

I would suggest that you post these in that thread,

See the link

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/154265-pentax-f...rter-lens.html
11-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sounds good Lowell , I've posted the pictures over there.

12-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I finally got a bit of sun yesterday, so I got out in the bling, which is positioned on the porch so the sun is behind me. These birds are so small, they are bigger on your monitor than they are in real life. The 1.7 gets you right in there without a lot of weight. ALthough doing it again, I think I'd go for a 70-200 f 2.8. Or maybe a k-5, to go with it.

12-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Those are really good shots......I think the last one is my favorite, but those Jays would be hard to beat. Nice detail and perfect color. Fine looking little Chipmunk...or as Otis calls them "little Squirrels".
Goldfinches are just now showing up here....a sign that winter is on its way, unfortunately!
Regards!
06-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some more TC shots.. this time with the TC is used with the Tamron 90 macro.

Last edited by normhead; 06-04-2012 at 07:17 AM.
06-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Very good Norm , might get more responses on a others (posting pictures) in the lens forum. I have it, don't use it a lot. I did try it on the DA* 60-250 a couple of weeks ago, found as you stated need more light however I was pleased with the results. AF works fine once you help the foucs along and get close. Not very fast though so hard to capture say BIF.

Here are a few.

06-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Syb
Veteran Member

TC on a 300A*f2.8

See more on my flickr photo stream
06-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A few more to finish off the evening.

06-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #14

Normhead,

Not all TC are equal. Looks like you have a beauty and you are working that combo. Sharp shots. I miss a lot of focuses with my TC because I am using older M-42 manual focus lenses and my no-line bifocals make it a crapshoot.Thanks for sharing. The chipmunk made me laugh.

JB
06-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I am using older M-42 manual focus lenses and my no-line bifocals make it a crapshoot.
I'm pretty much in the same position. I am taking a full run at every frame starting at 5.6 and ending at F-57, which the Tammy will do with a TC on. I'm finding the combination of sharpness and DoF at f-8 - 22 is what is working out. But, I take a lot of images for each image. In a series of 6 images often only 1 is good. I know a lot of the guys prefer manual focus and DoF preview for these types of shots, but my eyes aren't good enough for that. I'm reduced to using a more shotgun approach. That being said, shooting more selectively, I never would have anticipated some of the F-stops I get good or great images from. There's a real advantage to assuming you don't know as much as you think you do. If you listen to all these guys going on about diffraction at high f-stops and needing to shoot a 5.6-8 for sharpness, you're going to miss out on a lot of great images.

Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.

Last edited by normhead; 06-04-2012 at 07:14 AM.