Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
RAPTOR-ville Hawks, Kestrels and an Eagle
Lens: 6X7 SMC Takumar 400 f4 + A 2x-L rear converter Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Utah ISO: 400 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: littledrawe, 01-10-2012, 04:47 PM

This is a little stretch I frequent that I have now dubbed RAPTORville! I went out this morning because last night I recieved my 2X rear converter and my Chinese knock-off Gimbal Head in the mail I wanted to put them to use.
As the temperature heated up and the frost burned off so did the Raptor-ing!!

This Red Tail Hawk was gliding and swooping over this field looking for breakfast but never came close enough for me to get something good.

As I continued I found this Kestrel posted on the power line.

Then again on top of this power pole, I like the talons grabbing the threads.

There were two Red Tails in these cottonwood trees, this is where their nest is and they were not happy I was there as this is home base for them.

Almost got the jumping in focus. . . almost.

Then these two Kestrels were paired up, this is the second time I have seen them like this, kind of unusual I think.

This one was puffed up taking full advantage of the morning sun!

Now flashing a little wing and tail feather, I can only imagine this is the equivalent of showing some leg or flexing your bicep, just not sure which one?

It flew across the road to land on a fence post for a quick portrait shot. If only I had turned the camera vertically!!!!

Far off in the distance this Eagle was chilling on the ice surveying for fish before it freezes over for good. Not an amazing shot but I waited for it to leave and charted a course to intercept it.

Intercept it I did. This is where I started I wanted to get one shot off before it spooked.

This is how far it let me go. I had 10 minutes with it here……then

…..the battery died and just as that happened it took to the skies in search of a meal over the lake.
Views: 3,309
01-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
These are all out of the camera, no crops or processing, just resized so I didn't get shutdown while trying to upload them.
01-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Den
Veteran Member

Cool pics, although they all seem to be just a tad OOF/soft. I wonder if that was due to the tele xtndr?
01-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent captures of the color and behavior patterns, but will agree that these images do seem quite soft. Your talents and stalking skills deserve a sharper lens...

01-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Except for the last picture, I'd say they're a bit soft/OOF. Given that it's 800mm @ f8.0, it's understandable if hand held.