Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
An Old Coot (and friends)
Lens: Tokina 400 ATX AF Camera: K 20d Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Was down at the home park's marina recently, and noticed one of the coots that seemed bolder than usual. We have a good population of American Coots here all winter, but they usually avoid humans. This one was right on shore, enjoying the winter plant life.

With me only a few meters away, and busy park traffic passing frequently, this "old coot" sat down and enjoyed the grazing.

Not too far away, a Mockingbird (our Tennessee State Bird) was soaking up some sunshine in a Privet thicket. These birds spend most of their winter days staying very close to their food, defending berries and small fruits from other hungry beaks!

Just up the hill, at one of our park picnic areas, the Eastern Bluebirds were also enjoying the warm sunny day...

Our region is also host to many White Breasted Nuthatches. They are usually very shy, but I was able to stalk pretty close to this one. He was working on the side of a White Pine, one of a long row of pines planted in our campground. By moving quickly from tree to tree while his head was down, was able to get quite close - close enough for a glimpse of his "lunch!"

And many small birds are "hanging out" at the bird feeders these warm winter days. Here's a Tufted Titmouse, a female Cardinal and a White Throated Sparrow, waiting their turn for some sunflower seeds.

I sure am having fun with this new/old lens! Hope you are enjoying this great season, and all the wild discoveries nearby. Thanks for any comments, critique & suggestions...
Views: 1,550
02-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
these are all really great shots, I'm loving the clarity & colour you have here, the lens is a keeper for sure... very enjoyable series.

cheers
02-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a wonderful variety of birds you have there, all photographed beautifully. I bet the school children really enjoy visiting and learning about all of the wildlife.
02-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific sharp images. Well done

02-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wow that's a wide variety of birds you have there - all very good.
02-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That Tokina 400 has been put to excellent use! Nuthatches in particular are tough subjects -- they move so quickly. I always enjoy looking at your wildlife shots from your beautiful park.
02-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wonderful series of bird shots. That is some lens but I think the photographer should maybe be given some of the credit also.

02-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cee Cee - Indeed a nice piece of glass - I've been having much too much fun with this new lens lately!

Bob - Thanks so much! Yes, it's been a great winter for birds, and also for sharing nature with children. I am blessed daily.
Perhaps you'll park your RV here in Northeast Tennessee some day... (home park has a nice campground...)

Bruce - Glad you enjoyed them! This lens is so small for its length, easy to get sharp hand-held photos.

Dave - Thanks! Our region is indeed blessed with much natural diversity, feathered and otherwise.

Baro-nite - Glad you enjoyed these. Nuthatches do seem to have a touch of "avian ADHD" sometimes!

Susan - Thanks for your kind words. It's easy to get nice photos with such a good lens, and such a great place...
03-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #9

What wonderful images you've captured of all these beautiful birds!