Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Franken-lens à la RioRico - Yashica ML 50/1.4
Lens: Yashice ML 50/1.4 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Poitiers, France ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F1.4 
Posted By: Jean Poitiers, 05-25-2012, 05:02 AM

Bonjour,

An initial test shot of my "Franken-lens" ... I'm really liking it, thus far.

"It's alive!"

A+, John Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 05-25-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Views: 1,842
05-25-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sharp and thin DOF looks like you will have some fun.
05-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Naw, it's no Frankenlens, just a chop-job. That planar ML50/1.4 sure is sweet, eh? You might have a hint why I'd carry it *and* the FA50/1.4 *and* the K50/1.2 with me on the same day. Different lenses, different results.
05-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice. The colors are lovely and soft. Background is beautiful.

05-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't listen to RioRico - I think Frankenlens is a much more interesting subject line than Chop-Job Lens. I mean why let the truth get in the way of showing a good photo.
05-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My next Frankenlens will be mounting a 50/5.6 New Optical Lens from a Diana-clone onto an M50/2 body. Throw the switch, Eyegore! [ZAP!!] It's alive! It's alive!
05-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My next Frankenlens will be mounting a 50/5.6 New Optical Lens from a Diana-clone onto an M50/2 body. Throw the switch, Eyegore! [ZAP!!] It's alive! It's alive!
I realize you don't often (ever?) post photos, but maybe a sequence showing the evolution of a Frankenlens would be seen as worthwhile or at least a lot of fun.

05-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Merci ...

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Sharp and thin DOF looks like you will have some fun.
Bonjour daacon,

Thanks and I think that I'll have a lot of fun here!

A+, J
05-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I realize you don't often (ever?) post photos, but maybe a sequence showing the evolution of a Frankenlens would be seen as worthwhile or at least a lot of fun.
Ah, now that what passes for my workstation is back from the shop and no longer shuts down every eleven minutes, I have no excuses, eh? I'll try to clear my workspace enough for some clear shots of such a process. The most Frankenlensing I've done so far is removing the bayonet from Petri lenses and gluing on PK mounts (an M42-PK adapter works fine). I'll see what I can do.
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've got the ML 50 and an ML 135 both of which are excellent. I get so tempted sometimes to hire someone to do this for me, but then I think about my FRI and how great a camera it is and it seems cruel to make him settle for just the DSB's all the time. Not that they are bad. They're actually pretty good but the ML's are definitely better. Fen's a good boy. He's already lost his film counter to a QC issue. (It was an issue common to most FRI's. It would cost a mint to fix it and it's not a necessary repair IMHO.) He doesn't deserve to have his very best lenses converted and taken away from him too.

In fact I'm going to add a couple more of those to his kit someday if I can. I definitely want to get him a 28mm and a 200mm at some point. Next to my Spotties I have to say that he's my favorite old film camera. I love Yashica gear actually. They made some really fine lenses. My only regret is that I have no digital body to use all the good Yashica glass on.

I saw a post somewhere where a guy modified an older DSLR lens mount to use some other make of lens. I've often wondered if that is something that could be done for C/Y mount lenses. If it's possible I wouldn't mind getting a body done down the road when I am making more money. Yashica ML glass can still be had pretty cheap, though not as much so as a few years ago...
05-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Calling "Herrn Doctor Franken-lens" ... or is that "Franken- STEEN" ?

@ RicoRio ... Doctor, what do you think about a Yashica 28/2.8 as my next experiment? Know any good news about it specimen?

Salut, J Frog

PS - Could I please be "Eyegore" just once? Left and/or right hump, it doesn't matter to me!
05-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
My only regret is that I have no digital body to use all the good Yashica glass on.

I saw a post somewhere where a guy modified an older DSLR lens mount to use some other make of lens. I've often wondered if that is something that could be done for C/Y mount lenses. If it's possible I wouldn't mind getting a body done down the road when I am making more money.
I recall posts of older Pentax dSLR(s) being modified for Nikon glass -- remove the PK mount, replace it with a NI mount. No AF, although I recall one mod jiggered the aperture linkage to allow auto-stop-down.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
@ RicoRio ... Doctor, what do you think about a Yashica 28/2.8 as my next experiment? Know any good news about it specimen?
Sorry, I know nothing there. My other C/Y mods were a DSB 50/1.9 and a Vivitar 35/2.8. I haven't come across other cheap-enough C/Y glass. Well, I haven't been looking for it, which may be why I haven't found any, eh? Too bad more thrift shops aren't nearby.

QuoteQuote:
PS - Could I please be "Eyegore" just once? Left and/or right hump, it doesn't matter to me!
No problem! Be sure to get the bags.

[/me wanders off playing violin blindly]
05-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too bad more thrift shops aren't nearby.
Too bad, because of course what you need is even more glass in an even wider range of mounts