Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portraits: I had it coming eventually :)
Posted By: gawan, 02-10-2008, 09:50 AM

It had to happen eventually, as my social surrounding got to know my new enthusiasm for DSLR photography. They have begun asking me to take photos on different occasions, last weekend at my nephew's youngest child's christening.

I have been shy to take people pictures, but this time when asked, I forgot to be humble and just dived into it. It was fun until I got back home to view then on computer. Well actually not that bad considering I only had basic gear (only my newly acquired Metz 58 AF-1 for lighting and Tammy 18-250 attached to my K10D - I was supposed to take my excellent DA *16-50, but it was on repair at that time

Here are some examples (comments most welcome):

Last edited by gawan; 02-10-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Views: 1,585
02-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice photos gawan!
My preference goes to #2 and #5

Regards
02-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by afelix Quote
Nice photos gawan!

Regards
I'll go along with that, even if the christenee (is that a word?) is only in #5. The little sweetie leaning on the pew back is gorgeous.
02-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #4

Good shots!

#1 - makes me wonder what little sarcastic idea is running through his mind...

#3 - those eyes!

Al S.

02-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all, I took ca. 140 pictures that day, the actual christening in the main focus of course and then circling among the guests trying to include them in the final gallery. But what interested me most was portrait like close-ups and the struggle to get the light right in the situation. Here I chose only children as they were so natural.

QuoteOriginally posted by afelix Quote
Nice photos gawan!
Thanks afelix!

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'll go along with that, even if the christenee (is that a word?) is only in #5. The little sweetie leaning on the pew back is gorgeous.
Thank you Canada_rockies, the christened is also in #4 of course
I like the little big eyed girl also, so photographic (#2 and #3)

QuoteOriginally posted by fillerupmac Quote
Good shots!

#1 - makes me wonder what little sarcastic idea is running through his mind...

#3 - those eyes!

Al S.
Agree! Thank you fillerupmac!

Last edited by gawan; 02-11-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo
02-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #6

when youm used your metz flash...where you using Pmode , Auto Picture mode or manual mode?
did it synch well with the camera since the shots you took are well lit
02-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rjburgos Quote
when youm used your metz flash...where you using Pmode , Auto Picture mode or manual mode?
did it synch well with the camera since the shots you took are well lit
Hi rjburgos, this flash supports P-TTL/TTL, High speed P-TTL-HSS, Automatic, Manual, Stroboscope or Spotbeam modes. The only one I have used so far is the fully automatic P-TTL (I have had this flash only two weeks now).

As far as I can perceive, the P-TTL works perfectly in almost all cases I had. As I was indoors, I mainly used my flash bouncing its light from the ceiling. Metz has a white card that can be pulled from the body to aid in bouncing the light and I found it very useful, and used it all the time. See the picture:

This method produces quite nice and soft light as you can see in this thumbnail:

Last edited by gawan; 02-11-2008 at 10:19 AM.
02-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi gawan

I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of 'cropping' one of your shots and adding a modicum of sharpening....what do you think ?

Best regards
Richard
Attached Images

02-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi gawan

I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of 'cropping' one of your shots and adding a modicum of sharpening....what do you think ?

Best regards
Richard
Of course I don't mind, happy to have concrete comments These pictures were almost as they were shot...

Anyway your composition seems more balanced, but I also liked the space in font of her, to give room to where she looks kind of...

Mine was not cropped at all, maybe somewhere between mine and yours

And the sharpening, well I am always a little scared to after sharpen faces because it can affect the softness of the skin. You did it gently though.

Last edited by gawan; 02-21-2008 at 07:39 AM.
02-21-2008, 04:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The expression on the first kid's face is priceless. You could spend the rest of your life guessing what he was looking at and thinking and still never figure it out.
02-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The expression on the first kid's face is priceless. You could spend the rest of your life guessing what he was looking at and thinking and still never figure it out.
Thanks, you can guess now why I chose mainly to show you the children's pictures, they don't pose and definitely they don't fake it! See also the mothers expression, as if she knows how clever her child is