Snaps from Italy, Val Gardena and Val de Fassa
Posted By: Jonson PL, 02-24-2008, 09:35 PM

Hi folks,
just got back from a skiing trip. Here are some shots from the area :

Church in Ortisei

A nearby mountain at 5 o'clock in the afternoon

one hour later

Stream.
Some mountain rescue people, came by on skies to hear if I was ok; as I had put my skies on the side of the slope, to go down and grab some pictures

Cozy

glider

Mountain church

Forrest river

Mountain road

The sound of snow

I’ve gotten way more acquainted with the K10 by now, (got it last summer), makes it easier to try and have it do what I want. Still got lots to learn though.
Thanks for watching
Comments and Critique welcome

Last edited by Jonson PL; 02-24-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Views: 3,372
02-25-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sune. Outstanding shots reflecting the beauty of the region.

No 6, 7, 8 are all very good. I like the parachute with a very moody cloud formation. The light is great as well.

Mini cooper was your car? I always think of getting cars like this style.

I bet you had fun with skiing
02-25-2008, 04:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice pictures - I love to see travel pics, especially of places I will probably never see in person.

I like the third shot of the mountain in the late afternoon light. The hang glider against the golden sky is fantastic! I also liked the church bell pic shot against the blue sky and mountains. I like that as opposed to getting way back to attempting to show the entire church. Works for me! The last shot with the fence and the snow is attractive also. Nice (rental?) car, by the way.

Thanks for sharing.
02-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice series. Like J Scott I always enjoy these travel series shots. The second glider shot is great and I like the Mountain Church photo and the 3 that follow it.

02-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks you guys. It is fun that you like the church shot. I was a little disappointed in that. It was that place that made me bring the camera on the slope, just carrying it in my pocket, and hoping not to fall. On the LCD back it looked good, but didn't quite get what I thought. I hadn't taken it completely linear, but I guess that can work as 3d effect.
I only have a 35 mm A-series prime at the moment, and then a K50 mm f/1.2 lens, (plus an old standard zoom), so I have to work with the 35 mm and see what I get; but it is a good challenge. I plan to acquire later this year, the DFA 100/2.8 Macro, for some quality tele. And then likely next year, the DA* 16-50/2.8 AL ED [IF] SDM, as I’ve always liked to use WA for nature shots, but admired those that used tele for it.

I've picked up a lot of inspiration on the forum, and it has helped when trying to compose and see possible subjects. Regarding cropping, Darren M. has talked about selecting a part of a subject, and focussing on that.
I still need luck to really nail the shots, the hang-glider was at 1/4000 second, so could have been blown.
With the fence, I just came by and snapped it; unfortunately I had settings at JPEG and Iso 1250; so lost some of the IQ and the point of details in the snow.
I’ve primarily used camera for travel, or when using it at home, is not as diversified in different settings. Therefore I have to be more attentive when out and about to remember all the possibilities.

I had seen the car some days earlier, and therefore brought the camera at another point, just in case it should still be there. I liked that car in the setting, far up on the hill. Wish it was mine, but just a scene frozen in time .
I changed my major, so still have time before I finish University, so no car for me in the near future. Cars in Demark are 3 times the price of US, Germany, Sweden prices. So we bike when living in the city, and else have good public transportation.

I have another shot of the church, would like to know if you prefer the first one, or this second one :

Here is also another picture of the Morris, from a different angle :

Thanks again for the encouraging feedback.
02-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Great shots all, but especially the second glider shot and the mountain church. Like others, I just love travel pictures. Though it always makes me want to get away..
02-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great travel images. It's fun to see other parts of the world through the eyes of our fellow photographers.

02-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice series. Interesting captures of the changes of light on the mountain. I especially like the mood created by the clouds in the second glider, the mountain church and the three images after it, all nice compositions.

Paul