Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fireengine K20D movie in full HD
Posted By: falconeye, 03-02-2008, 11:06 AM

I provide a small fireengine movie shot in K20D's burst mode.

Here is a link to it:
I tagged it 24fps because most players will make the playback sloppy if you tag it 21fps. 24fps is within the HDTV spec (it is the Blu-Ray cinema movie distribution format, actually).

The original size is 1536x1024. I enlarged and cropped to get the 1920x1080.

For the curious, here is a link to the movie in original coordinates (i.e. 1536x1024@21p):
The attachment shows one frame (original JPEG). The quality overall is ok and arguably better than that of current HD camcorders, but not as good as one could dream of.

There are two artifacts: purple fringe (probably from the Sigma 18-200 at 18mm) and staircase/moire alias errors (probably from binning the sensor cells).

As for the subject: Today, it was a stormy day in Munich so I didn't have to wait very long

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Views: 7,470
03-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
wow. looks pretty damn good. actually it looks really good.
03-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What software are people using to put these together?
03-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice HDR ! Colors are superb!

03-04-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for your work. That’s seriously a lot of fps .
(The movie in original coordinates worked better for me, the other one was jumping.)

I like seeing the single frame sample as well, considering its from Sigma 18-200 at 18mm, it looks useable. Doing some work in PP, and maybe using prime lenses, one could yield most useable results.

Are there programs, where one can put continuous serious of pictures together, so that frames following each other can be played at pace together ? How did you do it ?

Maybe you could shoot some 21 fps pictures from your DA 40mm or 50-200mm, do some PP and select one image, to show the potential of using a single frame from the powerful burst mode.

Thanks again, this has been very helpful.
03-04-2008, 04:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
What software are people using to put these together?
Hi, I don't know what people are using. But since it is my movie, I may disclose which software I used

I used Photoshop CS3 Extended. Here http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/?id=vid0026 you may watch a 3min video how it can be accomplished.

My video was before I discovered how to eliminate the alias and PF artifacts. So, I'll redo it as soon as I have low light and sunshine scenes as well.

As for the color rendition: It is exactly as it came out of the K20D burst with JPEG*** and colors in "Natural". Because the day was cloudy the DR was just fine as it was. Hence, no HDR

I am still in the process of finding out how to proceed exactly to make the most out of the burst feature. As soon as I know, I'll put up a mini tutorial in the software area of this forum.
03-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks good!

Only problem is sound? What's your solution to that? although i guess it means we can recreate silent films with some dodgy soundtracks

03-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Hi, I don't know what people are using. But since it is my movie, I may disclose which software I used

I used Photoshop CS3 Extended. Here http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/?id=vid0026 you may watch a 3min video how it can be accomplished.

My video was before I discovered how to eliminate the alias and PF artifacts. So, I'll redo it as soon as I have low light and sunshine scenes as well.

As for the color rendition: It is exactly as it came out of the K20D burst with JPEG*** and colors in "Natural". Because the day was cloudy the DR was just fine as it was. Hence, no HDR

I am still in the process of finding out how to proceed exactly to make the most out of the burst feature. As soon as I know, I'll put up a mini tutorial in the software area of this forum.
Thanks, sounds great. When you put up a software mini tutorial, please leave a link to it in this thread. Just so I don't miss it; as I seldom check the software area of this forum, cause I'm not very knowledgeable in PP.

Would be very interested to know also the quality of a selected single frame.

Thanks again for the work
01-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I've found that I can make a "movie" using the 21fps burst mode and Windows Movie Maker (included free in Windows). You can save it to a variety of WMV formats (or AVI, I believe) and you can get 720p HD resolution. Just select all the shots and drop them onto the timeline. Like other video editors, you can add transitions, music/audio, etc.

I did one with the golf swings I posted previously, but I just did it as a proof of concept. I haven't posted it anywhere.