Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Afghan Deployment Updates **YEAR IN REVIEW** (39 images)
Photo Location: Afghanistan 
Posted By: Heie, 03-31-2013, 07:19 AM

Content removed

Last edited by Heie; 04-04-2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: CONTENT REMOVED
Views: 7,994
03-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I really thought you liked gear, you do. However your photography (a lot of your pics) is world class. You have your own style now. Your own method. Your own view of what you want us to see and its very good, PRO level. Your pics send a message words can't. I am not saying this because your in the Army or anything. Speaking purely of photography.
03-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you again for sharing these and your deployment stories and photo's. It had to be hard to narrow it down to just these. You have been able to teach and show us so much more about Afghanistan , the Afgan people, and a deployment there than we could ever learn on our own,without being there ourselves. And to be honest at my age I prefer to do it from here. I have been out for to long as I served in the 70's. So once again thanks for your service and for taking the time to do all of this.
03-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Awesome!!! All I can say is how relieved nothing happened to you, and you came back safe.
It kept me up sometimes thinking about it.

03-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #5

Outstanding work! Thanks for giving us a first hand look and for your service.
03-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Forum Member

will you leave pentax after you turn pro?
03-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jansen, Fantastic Images....every image tells a story. I got a feeling of watching a documentary. Planing to become a photojournalist?

03-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
ogl
Banned

Outstanding photos. But American government is the Prince of this World.
03-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Brilliant set of images , an absolute credit to you.
03-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #10

Absolutely stunning Mate
Good to see a Pentaxian putting the gear to good use
03-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hello from Aus.
I've said it before, & I'll say it again....Thank you so much for showing the REAL stuff that is going on over there.....the ways you are trying to help the Afghan people...in so many ways.....that we certainly do NOT read in the Press.
Every one of your posts have been beautifully photographed & described.
I could go on & on, but I will just say THANK YOU, & wish you all of the very best for whatever direction your life takes you in the future.
Thank You, Pickles.
03-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alex, thanks for the year in review, post. Out of all the photos you have taken, culling to 13% must have been overwhelming to say the least however, you rose to the occasion again and with great results. As others have said, we are all glad that you are out of harms way but , we know that in your chosen field of endeavor this can all change in a heartbeat. Again THANKS FOR ALL YOU HAVE SHARED, and this is on top of your regular duties.......Cliff
03-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Thanks For Sharing, You had the smarts to bring a camera along and make something out of it. Fantastic.
03-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Superb work, you should look into publishing a book. They really are fantastic, and your story should be told.

Thank you for your service.
04-01-2013, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I really thought you liked gear, you do. However your photography (a lot of your pics) is world class. You have your own style now. Your own method. Your own view of what you want us to see and its very good, PRO level. Your pics send a message words can't. I am not saying this because your in the Army or anything. Speaking purely of photography.
I am confused by your first statement - you thought I was a "gear junky"? Not that I'm offended, I am just taken a bit aback by that comment is all

But thank you. It's an incredible compliment and I thank you for that. I put an incredible amount of effort into not only taking these photographs, but preparing them for displaying here as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Thank you again for sharing these and your deployment stories and photo's. It had to be hard to narrow it down to just these. You have been able to teach and show us so much more about Afghanistan , the Afgan people, and a deployment there than we could ever learn on our own,without being there ourselves. And to be honest at my age I prefer to do it from here. I have been out for to long as I served in the 70's. So once again thanks for your service and for taking the time to do all of this.
It was pretty hard honestly. And also, that was pretty much my initial intent upon starting this project - provide an unfiltered lens to view what a deployment looks like in its many forms - guard duty, local populace interactions, partnership with the host nation, combat operations, death, etc. I am elated that that intent was effectively met.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Awesome!!! All I can say is how relieved nothing happened to you, and you came back safe. It kept me up sometimes thinking about it.
Thanks Lauren - my grandmother was the same - if I was away on a multiday mission she wouldn't sleep the entire time. Remember the fire? I couldn't call or send an email for about a week and she was panicking

Suffice it to say, I haven't told her about my application to Special Forces

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
will you leave pentax after you turn pro?
I have absolutely no intention in doing either right now

QuoteOriginally posted by Dynamo Quote
Hi Jansen, Fantastic Images....every image tells a story. I got a feeling of watching a documentary. Planing to become a photojournalist?
It's a dream to work for Reuters/Time/Nat Geo (Nat Geo especially) as a photojournalist. Maybe some day

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Hello from Aus. I've said it before, & I'll say it again....Thank you so much for showing the REAL stuff that is going on over there.....the ways you are trying to help the Afghan people...in so many ways.....that we certainly do NOT read in the Press. Every one of your posts have been beautifully photographed & described. I could go on & on, but I will just say THANK YOU, & wish you all of the very best for whatever direction your life takes you in the future. Thank You, Pickles.
Pickles thank you for your continuous support throughout the entire project. You were one of the most vocal and adamant supporters, for that I salute you

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Alex, thanks for the year in review, post. Out of all the photos you have taken, culling to 13% must have been overwhelming to say the least however, you rose to the occasion again and with great results. As others have said, we are all glad that you are out of harms way but , we know that in your chosen field of endeavor this can all change in a heartbeat. Again THANKS FOR ALL YOU HAVE SHARED, and this is on top of your regular duties.......Cliff
Cliff, same as above with Pickles. Also, thank you again for sending the school supplies - an incredible gesture for which I thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Superb work, you should look into publishing a book. They really are fantastic, and your story should be told. Thank you for your service.
I'm considering it - I have a lot of work to do still and I am transitioning into a new job (still don't know what it is - brigade headquarters is all I know), as well as preparing for my family to arrive in Germany for the summer - busy times ahead

Thank you all again - it has truly been a privilege.

-Heie