Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Night launch of the space shuttle
Posted By: rfortson, 03-18-2008, 08:44 PM

Attended the launch of STS-123 last week in Florida. I fully intended to use my Bigma on my K20, but then I drove off and left the Bigma back in Texas. I had to use the DA*50-135, but I thought it did a nice job.

There are some more posted on my Flickr stream, including an extreme crop of the shuttle on the pad, and it shows the value of the 14.6MP.
Views: 2,540
03-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ooooh, pretty...

...words cannot describe it. And can only imagine the sound.

Kudos Russ!
03-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

WOW! About describes it!
03-19-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great shot Russ would love to see that. Was it very loud ? Did you use burst mode ? I looked at the ones on flickr as well, very well done that crop is good .

03-19-2008, 05:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great job. On my bucket list of things to do and photograph.
03-19-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Inactive Account

WOW indeed, excellent color and composition and zero noise, what iso were you using BTW?
03-19-2008, 05:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Add my WOW to the list. I have been to the CAPE many times and have past it while a launch is taking place. I can't tell you how many times I have wished I had my camera available. You did a fantastic job. The K20 and the 50-135mm seems up for the job. Congrats all the way around.

03-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great pic..

Russ,

This is a GREAT Pic!!!! It must of been an awesome site and you captured it well..

Thanks for sharin!!! Kim
03-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #9

Nice! I love watching the shuttle launches. I was a teen in Fla when the shuttle program started and remember the excitement that I felt watching the first launch. I would love to take my kids to see one soon.
03-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Roberts Quote
Ooooh, pretty...

...words cannot describe it. And can only imagine the sound.

Kudos Russ!
Thanks Matthew! It was loud, but after the shuttle entered the clouds it seemed to muffle the sound some. I've definitely heard louder launches, though this one still rattled your chest.

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
WOW! About describes it!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great shot Russ would love to see that. Was it very loud ? Did you use burst mode ? I looked at the ones on flickr as well, very well done that crop is good .
Thanks! See my note above about the sound. All shuttle launches are loud, but this one wasn't as loud as some. I didn't use burst mode, just took multiple single shots. My only problem was when the engines first ignited it briefly confused the AF, but once it refocused everything was fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Great job. On my bucket list of things to do and photograph.
Thanks Pat. You should definitely get down there to see a launch.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lilly Quote
WOW indeed, excellent color and composition and zero noise, what iso were you using BTW?
Thank you! I shot this at ISO200.

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Add my WOW to the list. I have been to the CAPE many times and have past it while a launch is taking place. I can't tell you how many times I have wished I had my camera available. You did a fantastic job. The K20 and the 50-135mm seems up for the job. Congrats all the way around.
Thanks! As I said, I meant to take my Bigma, but after bumming about it for about 50 miles (we drove over from Texas), I decided to just enjoy the opportunities the 50-135 gave me. As it turns out, one of my favorite shots (the one with the people in the foreground) was shot at around 50mm. Now, I could've done that with the Bigma, but I'm not sure I would've thought of it in the heat of the moment. The 50-135 forced me to look at the surrounding scene as well.

There's also a shot of the shuttle on the pad, and then my extreme crop of the same scene. While I don't think it's as good as the Bigma would do at 500mm, I was really surprised at how well the shot held up. I'll try to post an example of it, but you can see it in my Flickr stream.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
Russ,

This is a GREAT Pic!!!! It must of been an awesome site and you captured it well..

Thanks for sharin!!! Kim
Thanks, Kim! It's the first launch I've seen in a few years (the first since I've entered the dSLR age). They are always awesome sights.

QuoteOriginally posted by lost Quote
Nice! I love watching the shuttle launches. I was a teen in Fla when the shuttle program started and remember the excitement that I felt watching the first launch. I would love to take my kids to see one soon.
Thanks! This was the first launch for my 5 year old daughter. Unfortunately it was at 2:30 a.m. so I'm not sure she really remembers much about it. She was sleeping in the car until L-5 minutes. She enjoyed the beach the next day, though.
03-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #11
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very kewl. I -really- love the 1st shot in your flickr gallery of just the smoke trail up to the clouds above. great display of the camera detail with that crop.
03-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Awesome photo!

great capture.
03-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow is all i can say ... that's a cool shot indeed.
I'd love to witness a shuttle launch in real life.