Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
New user: a sample
Lens: SMC Pentax DAL 18-55mm Camera: K-x 
Posted By: NicoleC, 10-20-2013, 03:43 PM

I'm new here, and new to photography, so I thought I'd introduce myself with a sampler of recent photos. Criticism welcome; I have a lot to learn!

Views: 767
10-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some nice photos there. I'm new enough I don't feel able to say much (and I'd be happy had I taken them anyway).

Welcome.
10-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice series, indeed. 1,3,4,6 stand out. If you say you have a lot to learn, I'd say you're on the right path.
10-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've got a good eye. Keep shooting and sharing. 2,3,4, and 5 are my favs.

10-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2,4,6,8, for me Welcome to the Forums
10-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the kind words. I've only been shooting seriously for a couple of months, so I am still trying to figure out the stuff that I don't know that I don't know, you know? (Other than PP... I'm very sure I don't know diddly about that!)

I kept ending up on Pentax Forums when searching for information, so I thought I'd join. I look forward to seeing others' work here and listening to your perspectives.
10-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Very nice and welcome all criticism is subjective so if you are happy with them they are perfect. FWIW my opinion : #1 I would have put the whole flower in frame. #3 tough shot with that back lighting another angle might have produced better details on the dragonfly. The last one really has no focal point to grap the viewers interest I also find that the foreground is a bit distracting.

10-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum Nicole.A nice introductory series and the great part about it is that it gets better as time goes on.Looking forward to seeing more of your work.--charliezap
10-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
#1 I would have put the whole flower in frame.
I agree if you are talking about not clipping off the petals on the left. It was taken under adverse conditions -- the wind was blowing a lot and just keeping it in focus was tough. I have another where the flower is center frame... but it's boring, IMO.

QuoteQuote:
#3 tough shot with that back lighting another angle might have produced better details on the dragonfly.
I have a shot without the reflection off the water in the frame. I have considered trying to merge them in Photoshop but it isn't a very pretty dragonfly so I'm not sure it's worth it. (See attachment. I have a higher res version.) I also have several versions with the reflection from slightly different angles, but I liked this one best. I agree the photo isn't all the way there. The reflection grabbed my attention and I was trying something new.

QuoteQuote:
The last one really has no focal point to grap the viewers interest I also find that the foreground is a bit distracting.
I see your point. I was going for abstract but didn't quite make it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
10-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #10

Nicely done...I especially like 2,4, and 6!
10-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Other Suggestions?

Hi Nicole, Welcome to the Forum!
Well, you're certainly off to a good start, those are some very nice photos. You've already been offered some advice on composition. framing and lighting, so I won't repeat that. What I will do (unsolicited, of course!) is offer some equipment suggestions.
1) Since you clearly enjoy macro, buy a 24" (60cm) 5-color foldable round reflector, about $10-$15 online and take it with you whenever you can. Mine lives in the trunk, along with a sturdy tripod. I have a thread on 'Photographic Techniques' that has some examples of use. With this handy gadget, you're controlling the natural light, adding fill-light to the shadow side and evening out the exposure. By 'throwing' the sunlight around (re-directing it) you can add texture, open shadows, provide fill and highlights.
Used correctly-it's easy!- the light will look very natural and enhance practically everything you shoot.
2) Start budgeting an allowance for a macro lens. Yes, they can be expensive, but there are a few bargains out there and it is a long-term investment in quality.
You're doing about all you can with the close-focusing capability of the kit lens and a good job, I'll add. Soon, you'll exceed the limits of that lens for macro.
That's the signal to move up! Once you do, I'll bet you never look back. A short-tele macro (70mm, 90mm, 100mm, etc) can also be used as a regular tele for portraits and longer 'reach', it's a handy focal length. If $$ is tight, look at used lenses, here on the Marketplace, eBay and other online sources.
Here's a few good ones to look for, these are all AF, MF will be somewhat cheaper, if available;
Sigma EX DG AF 70mm f/2.8 $450 new, $260-$300 used.
Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 $489 new, $250-$300 used.
Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 DI $449 New, $200-$300 used.
For Pentax lenses, look at the lens reviews here, the FA and DA 100mm f/2.8 Macro's will run about $400-$500 used.
The Pentax FA 100mm f/3.5 Macro is about $150 used and has a re-branded Cosina version that's about $100-$125 used, in PK mount.
Just some ideas for the 'wish list'! For more info, google 'Best Macro Lenses'.
Keep up the good work!
Ron
10-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Nicole. For a first time user you are doing a great job. I enjoyed the series very much. Keep them coming.
10-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Ron. The Tamron 90mm you mentioned was supposed to be my Xmas present, but now that my camera is going wonky on me my BF has graciously offered to pony up a K-3 instead... so the new lens might have to wait a bit but it's definitely on my list.

The reflectors make sense, I'll get them. Since it gets pretty dull around here in the winter I plan to set up a small macro studio indoors and get some practice; I am sure they will be useful there, too. I have a tripod but it's a many-times hand-me-down and it stinks. So that's on my accessory list as well.
10-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Very nice series Nicole. I like them a lot. As far as macro goes, you can pick up a older Pentax 100mm f4 macro for around 100 dollars or so. It's manual focus and not as fast as some of the newer AF lens, but it is really a great lens. Also if you have a 50mm manual lens you can pick up a couple of used 2x converters, remove the glass in them, and use them as extension tubes with the 50. It works great for small insects and such using the onboard flash with a diffuser.