Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sports photos
Posted By: Arpe, 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM

Thought I'd post my Pentax Day photos here as I know some of you enjoy these.
A wet day - I was rather soaked by the end of it, through my rain coat, and sweatshirt, and shirt. I use a plastic bag over the camera and lens, but not too worried about the camera, K20D, as it's weather sealed.

This one's not quite focussed, but anyway...

Hmmm... they actually look sharper at a bigger size! Oh well.
Views: 1,824
04-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Holy pouring rain! Number 2 is just brilliant, though - what a shot!
What lens were you using?
04-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The last shot is the best one since there were 3 expressions caught in the image. The movements and momentum are all different from one to another.

Weather sealing feature in pentax line up is definitely so handy. I shot around with the camera for the past 7 days in rain. No worries and the images have a different feel under heavy rain!
04-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

All 3 are nice -- you can really see the rain. My thought on #1 is......."careful where you'r grabbing there, mate."

04-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
Holy pouring rain! Number 2 is just brilliant, though - what a shot!
What lens were you using?
Thanks guys. Using the Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX (no DG, no macro) with the Sigma 1.4x TC.
Using the camera in TAv mode, all the exif data is in the photos.

I wish Pentax would make an equivalent f2.8 lens, I effectively have a 100-280/f4, which beats Pentax's 60-250/f4 for length, so that's what I go with. On sunny days I can stick the Sigma 2x TC on. Then with the 14.6mp I can crop the hell outta them and still keep them above 6mp!
04-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Brilliant photos. "Real" men play rugby. Us wimps in the states need to use pads. How did you find the autofocus of the 70-200 with the tc on the K20D? Fast enough?
04-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great actions shots ! The tuffs of grass , the expressions , the rain. Very good series.

04-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Brilliant photos. "Real" men play rugby. Us wimps in the states need to use pads. How did you find the autofocus of the 70-200 with the tc on the K20D? Fast enough?
Yes, fast enough most of the time. When using the combo on my istDS it was marginal and I would frequently end up using MF, and always use MF if it was good enough weather to stick the 2x on. I think I can probably stay in AF with the K20 and the 1.4x, it will be interesting with the 2x.

I disable the AF on the shutter button and solely use the AF button on the back, and try and hold the shuuter down anough to keep the SR activated, the fact that SR is not instantaneous is annoying! Some way of turning it on permanently would be good, I may start a thread about that to let Pentax know what I think.

Yeah daacon - I really like the grass tuft over the guy's shoulder too.
04-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yes, fast enough most of the time. When using the combo on my istDS it was marginal and I would frequently end up using MF, and always use MF if it was good enough weather to stick the 2x on. I think I can probably stay in AF with the K20 and the 1.4x, it will be interesting with the 2x.
Good to know. I too used the 70-200 on a Ds, and reverted to manual focus most of the time. I'll go with AF on the K20D next time I shoot action.

QuoteQuote:
I disable the AF on the shutter button and solely use the AF button on the back, and try and hold the shuuter down anough to keep the SR activated, the fact that SR is not instantaneous is annoying! Some way of turning it on permanently would be good, I may start a thread about that to let Pentax know what I think.
Maybe because of battery drain? They tweaked the electronics pretty good and the batteries last much, much longer now. I'll have to switch my AF button. Right now, I'm most comfortable with it being AF cancel. Only problem with that mode is that you have to keep it pressed until you expose. For action, makes more sense your way.
04-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

ARPE thanks for sharing these. Great work.