Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Great Wall of China
Posted By: pop4, 05-06-2008, 08:32 AM

Apart from visiting Tiananmen Square during my time up in Beijing, I also traveled up to see the Great Wall of China. I went to the Juyongguan Pass section of the Wall, and it took me about 4 hours in total to walk all around the section. Here's a few shots.
C&C welcome.

Views: 2,265
05-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

These are amazing images indeed.
It really shows how steep it is in some sections.
Makes a nice change to not have smog around you.
05-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

hey pop4, another nice set! seems like you're going to all the places i went last year and you've taken better photos too.
my brother wussied out and we didn't go to the top. but boy it's scary going down, can't imagine how the soldiers could get around on these stairs quickly.

for people who haven't been, it's hard to see from the photos, but the steps are uneven in height and some are up to knee high without any railings.
05-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #4

Nice shots, i'm out of breath just looking at them.

05-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like these!

your images are a different look at something that is a familiar subject.

Tim
05-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots. I went to the Great Wall 2 days ago. The wall was more crowded for me. Some of your shots look like they were taken from a different part of the Wall than the one we were on. You have some excellent shots with no people in them Nice work. I'll post some of my shots when I get the chance.
05-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pop4, nice set. #3 and #5 are my favorites. I was there more than ten years ago; some sections were under renovation; yes, the steps are uneven and some are very steep.

Thanks for sharing, I was using a film camera at that time, the shots I took were not as good (my limited knowledge and skill).

05-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow, you got some great shots! China is a place I would really like to visit sometime. #3 makes me feel like I'm about to fall.
05-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, some sections were quite steep and it would have been pretty dangerous if the handrails weren't there; funny thing was, when I got to thinking about what would happen if I fell down the stairs, my thoughts consisted primarily of how could I protect my camera from damage when falling down. I couldn't care less about injuries to myself, just how my gear would fare!

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Great shots. I went to the Great Wall 2 days ago. The wall was more crowded for me. Some of your shots look like they were taken from a different part of the Wall than the one we were on. You have some excellent shots with no people in them Nice work. I'll post some of my shots when I get the chance.
You probably went to the Badaling section. That's more famous and packed full of tourists, since almost everyone goes there. I went to the Juyonguan Pass section, which is slightly closer to Beijing and has fewer visitors; you would've gone past it on your way to Badaling if you were traveling on the Badaling Expressway.

I also went pretty early, getting there and starting to climb at about 8:30am. When I was climbing the sections in #7, I was pretty much all by myself for most of it. More and more people started to arrive, and by the time I was leaving, there were even more people than that in the last photo.