Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Great Egret
Posted By: Marc Langille, 05-18-2008, 08:15 PM

Hunting of course...

Taken with K20D + FA* 300/2.8 the day before my departure from deep south Texas. I really like this photo, but it won't be submitted in my portfolio for the competition.

Taken at F/5.6, 1/1000 sec. ISO 400, EV -1 1/3, Manual Mode:

Light sharpening + NR done in Noise Ninja. Details hold up very well. I hope you enjoy it! This is a full frame shot: if I do a view at 100%, the clarity is wonderful.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 05-19-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: clarification
Views: 3,408
05-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Clear, graceful and powerful image. Beautiful colour without any blown highlights or distraction.

You certainly trumped the bird shot very well. It seems to be looking for food
05-19-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's beautiful Marc,

Although I'm hoping that the un-cropped version has the full reflection of your friend. I'd love to see it with the full reflection.
05-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK Marc, you can stop showing up the rest of us! Beautiful shot, and spot on exposure.

NaCl(decides not to do any more bird shots)H2O

05-19-2008, 04:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning shot. Love the intensity of the hunter. Beautiful sharpness, colour and exposure. Well done Marc.
05-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Clear, graceful and powerful image. Beautiful colour without any blown highlights or distraction.

You certainly trumped the bird shot very well. It seems to be looking for food
Thanks James... I sincerely appreciate your comments.

That's the key for light or white colored birds - underexpose them by at least 2/3 of a stop. Since it's pure white, a full stop or 1 1/3 is easily done. Made a minor Levels adjustment to get rid of the slight bluish tinge you get (on white birds) with underexposures sometimes.

Regards,
Marc
05-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
It's beautiful Marc,

Although I'm hoping that the un-cropped version has the full reflection of your friend. I'd love to see it with the full reflection.
Thanks Stu! Unfortunately it was that close... that's the full image. I cannot crop my images for the competition, so that's why I'll only show the full images here too. My reference was to the image at 100% - sorry for any confusion!

Regards,
Marc

05-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
SouthShoreRob

What a super shot, Marc! Majestic looking bird. I know we have some egrets around here as well. Don't think they're of the "great" variety, but once I get one captured, I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing!

Rob
05-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Egret varieties...

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
What a super shot, Marc! Majestic looking bird. I know we have some egrets around here as well. Don't think they're of the "great" variety, but once I get one captured, I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing!

Rob
Rob, thank you very much! To clarify: Great White Egrets are the only large Egret. Great White Egrets have both black legs and yellow bills. The Snowy and Little Egrets have black legs and black bills, but they are much smaller (24"), compared to the Great White (39").

Cattle Egrets (a little smaller) have yellow bills and yellowish legs. If you see a larger heron/egret type bird with white legs, that's a rarer white morph of the Great Blue Heron... HTH?

BTW, most of these images are the result of a minimum of 1-2, sometimes up to 4-6 hours in a blind. This was at the end of a 4.5 hour stint. They are quite difficult to photograph. Sometimes all that patience is rewarded... sometimes it's not!

Cheers,
Marc
05-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
OK Marc, you can stop showing up the rest of us! Beautiful shot, and spot on exposure.

NaCl(decides not to do any more bird shots)H2O
Salty, thank you for the kind words - much appreciated!

I know you are ribbing me, but I also believe it's important to point out to those who may not know me that this image is the result of many, many hours of hard (sometimes very hot) work. This is not just an image taken at the local lake of semi-tame or animals used to a human presence. I've made it to this point in less than 2 years of serious shooting, which is a good learning curve (in my mind). Besides, I've never photographed birds with any sense of conviction before... I am a complete newbie when it comes to birding...

Regards,
Marc
05-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow! is that a great shot!
05-20-2008, 07:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Stunning shot. Love the intensity of the hunter. Beautiful sharpness, colour and exposure. Well done Marc.
Thank you Peter. I'm really impressed with the image quality of this lens!

Cheers,
Marc
05-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
Wow! is that a great shot!

Thank you Rosemary! That was near the end of the 4.5 hours in the blind in that crappy 105F heat... I was glad to pack it in and de-humidify in the SUV driving back to the cabin...

Cheers,
Marc
05-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a wonderful image Mark, thanks for posting it. What competition are you shooting for?
05-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
That is a wonderful image Mark, thanks for posting it. What competition are you shooting for?
Thanks Heinrich! I am very glad they finally co-operated!

I'm approaching 26 days of shooting and travel down to the private ranch. It's over 6,000 acres. Lots of African animals too (see my other post). Link to contest details:

South Texas Shootout - Wildlife Photography Contest - Valley Land Fund

I head back one more time: May 30th - June 9th. I hope to break even on this - it's not cheap!

Cheers,
Marc