Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First Lensbabies Shots
Posted By: mattdm, 06-27-2008, 07:45 PM

Views: 3,017
06-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I still need to work on getting the sweet spot where it ought to be — a challenge with fast-moving kids! (The one with the fallen log would have been a keeper one second earlier. Oh well.)

All of this is straight JPEG from the K10D without postprocessing (shrunk with ImageMagic).
06-28-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
Forum Member

I like the effect you get from that lens Seems like it warps the edges so it looks like a zoom blur. In some cases it adds movement or exaggerate motions to the image like in shot#1 and shot#5. I´m sure you will learn how to position the focus spot by time
06-28-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great photos

If didn't know that they where from a lensbaby i might thought i was drunk

06-28-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

So this is the effect of a Lensbabies

Any other features to watch out for

cheers
06-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I still need to work on getting the sweet spot where it ought to be — a challenge with fast-moving kids! (The one with the fallen log would have been a keeper one second earlier. Oh well.)

All of this is straight JPEG from the K10D without postprocessing (shrunk with ImageMagic).
I can belive that.. and the effect is really cool

Do you think it's worth getting for fashion? I think I can see the use for it..
06-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I looked at a Lensbaby at Lens & Shutter, wondered at the price, and am left at odds about the results that I have seen posted on the internet. To me it looks like you could get the same or better effect from taking a decent photo (without the Lenbaby) and post edit it with the smudge tool, or blur tool in Photoshop - with more control and varying degree. Is it just me that does not get the Lensbaby? Not trying to be negative here, more posing a question.

06-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
I looked at a Lensbaby at Lens & Shutter, wondered at the price, and am left at odds about the results that I have seen posted on the internet. To me it looks like you could get the same or better effect from taking a decent photo (without the Lenbaby) and post edit it with the smudge tool, or blur tool in Photoshop - with more control and varying degree. Is it just me that does not get the Lensbaby? Not trying to be negative here, more posing a question.
That's not half so fun.

But seriously, check out this thread on the lensbabies forum: Lensbabies >>> Selective Focus SLR camera lenses
06-29-2008, 12:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey Mattdm,

You bring up an excellent point. There is the magic of the moment. It is always much more enjoyable to be behind the lens & camera as opposed to being infront of a computer screen. I can appreciate the exercise and creative flow you would get exploring the possibilites through the view finder (probably not possible to dream up or imagine all the possibilites otherwise). I look forward to seeing your future posts with the Lensbabies. Thanks
06-29-2008, 03:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Mattdm, I like your lensbaby images better than the ones in the ads. That looks like a lot of fun to shoot with!
06-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A Holga lens is cheaper.
06-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
A Holga lens is cheaper.
Yeah, I actually considered that too. The lensbaby is more versatile, not only with the weird flexy action but also because I can actually change the aperture. That's worth a little to me.